Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
We've a fairly nice GE washer (large stainless tub, more settings than I can shake a stick at) that started making a racket on the rinse and spin cycle. Seems like the suspension is going. A quick check online shows that replacing the shocks is easy, but the parts alone are about $200 for all 4 "shocks".
Seems like a careful application of lubricant might work. The rods are metal, the cylinders are some sort of plastic.
Any suggestions for a grease to "dribble" on the shaft?
washer.jpg

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #2  
Would Dry graphite work its way down and not react to the plastic?

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #3  
I would try silicone lube, as the plastic is not likely to respond well to hydrocarbons, especially if there is a gasket or o-ring inside.

FWIW: The suspension item is more like a gas dampener on the models that I have taken apart. A plunger goes up and down inside a cylinder. Your "fairly nice" model may be fancier, and actually be a mini shock absorber.

Good luck!

Peter

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #4  
We (I) replaced the shock on our washer and it’s back to normal. I don’t remember what it cost.

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #5  
Bearings also fail on washers…. My old GE unit had non replaceable bearings. Had to trash the unit.

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #6  
Don't order anything till you take it apart and see what the real problem is. It could be something entirely else. I've been down this rabbit hole of thinking that I found a solution on the internet, only to find later, after taking it apart, that the issue had nothing to do with any of the suggested fixes. For instance you might have rotted spokes on the bottom wheel or a broken rivet to the drum.

Last edited:
   / Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed
Don't order anything till you take it apart and see what the real problem is. It could be something entirely else. I've been down this rabbit hole of thinking that I found a solution on the internet, only to find later, after taking it apart, that the issue had nothing to do with any of the suggested fixes. For instance you might have rotted spokes on the bottom wheel or a broken rivet to the drum.
I've taken the front off and sat through 3 cycles. My wife described it as squeaking.
What I found was a grinding noise timed with the motion of shock. Further surfing indicated lubrication may not help, but there may be a way to put a shim into the shock.
SWMBO's preferred replacement would be a Speed Queen (> $1,000) so $200 for parts would not be too bad, unless I have to replace some other aged part on the washer soon.
We've got a Speed Queen in Mississippi and it's built like a tank.

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #8  
@newbury I agree that Speed Queens are definitely built like tanks. They aren't the most efficient, but absolutely solid.

If it is just a squeak, I would try the lubricant. I had a vibration issue in a previous washer that turned out to be a worn seal, that probably damaged a bearing, and broken drum / axle fasteners. It's anyone's guess on what the order of failures were.

All the best,

Peter

/ Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #9  
They have inexpensive $100 or less for 4 replacement suspension spring assemblies on Amazon.

I would say if you can get a clone/replacement for under $100 for 4, go for it.

But $200 seems like a lot when the problem could be the drum bearing etc as others have indicated.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Laundry - GE washer suspension fix needed #10  
Have a Samsung front loader that I had to replace the drain pump after 12 yrs. $110 with shipping and has been up and running fine. Sometimes, you need to roll the dice. It's the risk/reward thing!