Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #71  
Do you get an insurance discount for having Onstar that might cancel out the monthly fee?
No insurance discounts. The benefits and peace of mind knowing my wife won't be stranded with a disabled vehicle is worth it. We don't work 8-5 so being able to locate any of our vehicles using the app allows us to see if the other has left work without having to call them. The remote start using the app has come in handy with the string of 100+ degrees days we have had lately. Remote start the car and it is cold inside when you get in, also nice in the winter to have it warmed up. Remote start is good for 15 minutes and after that it shuts off, so I get stopped for a problem walking out of the hospital or she gets stopped walking out of the clinic, the vehicle shuts off.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #72  
Anytime the product is free then you are the product. They collect and sell data that the device/software collects on you.
Clearly you haven't any sense of who the Linux community is. They are for the most part computer wizards with a revolutionary spirit. They take every single line of code apart and relish in the act of finding and exposing things they don't like.
You can take to the bank that if it is in the linux software boutique it is safer than anything else on the planet.
Your statement applies to for profit commercial enterprises like FaceBook and Twitter. There and in companies like that you are indeed the product and the front end is merely the cheese.

Not so with Cannonical. They are not profit-driven.
But unless you are capable of finding this out for yourself, well you have only the word of people on the internet whom you will never meet.
It does take a certain amount of intelligence to do that so ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
You are on your own.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #73  
Do you really think it is that much of a stretch for a "dissident" to get locked out of their car as easily as being locked out of their bank account?
That is the world we are on our hands and knees begging for.
I often ask people why they imagine that the second amendment follows tight on the First and why the founders did those two right out of the gate.
They couldn't imagine every twist and turn the world would take. but they knew that power corrupts and sooner or later the first amendment wouldn't be enough.
It ain't there for huntin' squirrels or defending one's home.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #74  
I don’t see nor do I understand why people live in fear of only what might go wrong?

I survived car accidents, house fires, motorcycle accidents. With out ever even owning a cell phone and still don’t feel the need to own one!
Onstar or what ever that thing is called in my BMW didn’t even do anything when the car got wrecked! The only thing all the safety features did was start to look like it would cost a small fortune to replace the lost key.
Thankfully my husband knew a tech savvy kid who was able to program a new one for the cost of lunch at McDonald’s! Which again really doesn’t say much about paying for that 300+ dollar ignition key.
I would say a $1.99 key would have been a much more realistic option!

Take you tech and expense and pay for it yourself but don’t demand I do the same and pay for something I don’t want, dont need and don’t want to pay for. Then you see they run to the polatician and ask for a law to save us from ourselves because without forcing it on everyone they can’t afford to make it work and they don’t make enough money for it to be profitable.

I remember getting the police on channel 9 on the CB radio and it worked just fine. Doesn’t cost a monthly subscription and you can move it to your next car in just a few minutes with only the expense of a little electrical tape. No major cost needed, no upgrades needed, no monthly fees needed! It’s simple, non intrusive and still works after all these years.

Someone said they don’t understand why we need all this stuff in the car when the cell phone already can do those things. Then why not an app on your phone that locks out texting while driving with an impact sensor that does the same thing as onstar? It Would help stop what I consider the worst drivers from using thier phones while driving and save the rest of us from having to pay for someone else’s fears.

Just some random thoughts
Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #75  
I remember getting the police on channel 9 on the CB radio and it worked just fine
I remember trying on a couple of occasions and not getting anybody. Fortunately neither time was an emergency.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #76  
Clearly you haven't any sense of who the Linux community is. They are for the most part computer wizards with a revolutionary spirit. They take every single line of code apart and relish in the act of finding and exposing things they don't like.
You can take to the bank that if it is in the linux software boutique it is safer than anything else on the planet.
Your statement applies to for profit commercial enterprises like FaceBook and Twitter. There and in companies like that you are indeed the product and the front end is merely the cheese.

Not so with Cannonical. They are not profit-driven.
But unless you are capable of finding this out for yourself, well you have only the word of people on the internet whom you will never meet.
It does take a certain amount of intelligence to do that so ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
You are on your own.
I am familiar with Linux, cut my teeth on Knoppix 20 years ago. I was referring to "apps", not operating systems.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #77  
I don’t see nor do I understand why people live in fear of only what might go wrong?

I survived car accidents, house fires, motorcycle accidents. With out ever even owning a cell phone and still don’t feel the need to own one!
Onstar or what ever that thing is called in my BMW didn’t even do anything when the car got wrecked! The only thing all the safety features did was start to look like it would cost a small fortune to replace the lost key.
Thankfully my husband knew a tech savvy kid who was able to program a new one for the cost of lunch at McDonald’s! Which again really doesn’t say much about paying for that 300+ dollar ignition key.
I would say a $1.99 key would have been a much more realistic option!

Take you tech and expense and pay for it yourself but don’t demand I do the same and pay for something I don’t want, dont need and don’t want to pay for. Then you see they run to the polatician and ask for a law to save us from ourselves because without forcing it on everyone they can’t afford to make it work and they don’t make enough money for it to be profitable.

I remember getting the police on channel 9 on the CB radio and it worked just fine. Doesn’t cost a monthly subscription and you can move it to your next car in just a few minutes with only the expense of a little electrical tape. No major cost needed, no upgrades needed, no monthly fees needed! It’s simple, non intrusive and still works after all these years.

Someone said they don’t understand why we need all this stuff in the car when the cell phone already can do those things. Then why not an app on your phone that locks out texting while driving with an impact sensor that does the same thing as onstar? It Would help stop what I consider the worst drivers from using thier phones while driving and save the rest of us from having to pay for someone else’s fears.

Just some random thoughts
Janet
I have to laugh when I hear LaRosa pizza ads touting how "you can now order pizza on your smart phone".

I was ordering pizzas on my rotary phone 50 years ago! :ROFLMAO:

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #78  
I thought the same until I had a rental in a cold climate. It’s nice to warm your car up on an extremely cold day. I could take or leave this but the feature I am addicted to is when you don’t have to get the keys out of your pocket to unlock the door. That is an awesome feature!
Our car is kept in the garage so I don't think it would be a good idea to use the remote start.
A better item to have would be a garage.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #79  
Pay a monthly fee for simple HEATED SEATS ???

My vehicle didn't come with them. All I did was order a set of strap on aftermarket and my behind is nice and warm in the winter now. Paid a mere $22. It's a great add-on.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #80  
"Not so with Cannonical. They are not profit-driven." Canonical, the entity behind the Ubuntu Distro, is spelled with one N. :)