Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #31  
You got a steal on that Brown tree cutter, and they are a tough piece of equipment.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #32  
I think a lot of farms used to stay cleared of trees because they used firewood to stay warm. My mom said her dad's farmhouse was drafty in the winter despite having several wood fireplaces that were used to heat the house.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #33  
You got a steal on that Brown tree cutter, and they are a tough piece of equipment.
Definitely yes!

It needed some love to get it going again. 5’ model and I’m at the lower side of HP requirement with a 59hp tractor. Cuts and chips up limbs and trees much better than a rotary cutter.

Only have limited experience with skidsteers and none with CTL. Prefer a tractor.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #34  
I clear trail edges using a side flail. I have found that drum flail mowers are much more versatile than rotary brush cutters and overall much easier on the tractor. I like that I only need to drive along the trail to mow the edge, as opposed to having to angle into the edge of the trail with a front or rear rotary cutter. This is not only faster, but doesn't tear up the trail. This flail mower is 7-foot long and combined with the lift arm allows me to stand the mower up vertically to cut back tree overhangs as high as 9-foot. Of course, combined with the rear offset flail, I can quickly mow the trail and edge simultaneously.
IMG_8679.jpeg

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #35  
I clear trail edges using a side flail. I have found that drum flail mowers are much more versatile than rotary brush cutters and overall much easier on the tractor. I like that I only need to drive along the trail to mow the edge, as opposed to having to angle into the edge of the trail with a front or rear rotary cutter. This is not only faster, but doesn't tear up the trail. This flail mower is 7-foot long and combined with the lift arm allows me to stand the mower up vertically to cut back tree overhangs as high as 9-foot. Of course, combined with the rear offset flail, I can quickly mow the trail and edge simultaneously.
View attachment 850473
I would like to see some more pictures of that rig, particularly the one on the side of the tractor to see how you fabbed it up, looks like it would be very efficient for trail mowing, pond edges,etc.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #36  
The task is trail/road overhang maintenance and edge of yard/field maintenance. Not really interested in major land/tree clearing.

Equipment available is open station JD 5303 4WD with 522 FEL, one rear remote, currently no third function or Bobcat S250 rubber tire skid steer, open cab, standard flow.

Considering adding third function and Lane Shark to the JD or a lexan front door and brush mower to the skid steer. Cost appears to be about the same. Like everyone else we get side creep of limbs into fields, food plots and roads. The skid steer has a Bobcat open bottom type grapple with double clamping arms. For years have used the grapple to push back or dig up the encroaching limbs and bushes. The maneuverability and hydrostatic drive of the skid steer is ideal for this type of work.

Looking for opinions, feed back or experiences comparing the two. Gut feeling is the skid steer mower with a 3-4” cut capacity more likely to hold up better long term and be more flexible in uses and get more work done than the 2-3” capacity of the Lane Shark.

Anyone made this comparison or have any experiences operating similar setups in these type situations?
Wow all I can say at my age I am purchasing Lane Shark 3' unit to do my hay fields tree limbs, prickers, vines and trails over 6 miles on my property. One of the distributors who wasn't a dealer last year is now because of me and he is getting one for his farm use and to have a display and show use. I had a small problem with lane Shark but the dealer had no issues with getting me the unit for my tractor Lane Shark think my tractor its to small but newer models they put it on are even smaller than mine lol. My most used tractor because it is hydrostatic transmission makes brush hogging, loading hay, loading manure, firewood, logs, rototilling, and many other small jobs so simple. Use my standards for heavy work over 1,000 pounds and need need more then 20pto power. If your near Massachusetts call or stop by Devon Lane Farm Supply in Belchertown 413-323-6336 the family has two companies the other is power equipment they don't carry the Lane Shark so make sure you pick Farm Supply.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #37  
I can’t vouch for the truthfulness behind this but I’ve read that the solenoid operated 3rd function kits aren’t rated for continuous use.
The manual for my WR Long remote kit warns that it's for intermittent use only. Shoulda been in their advertisement, IMO, not buried in their manual. (Good product and company to work with, otherwise)