Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #22  
I really like your MTL cutter. That cutterhead makes a lot of sense.
It has been really good for me and I put it places that make me cringe sometimes, but that is what it is designed to do, I have been cleaning up around an old slaughter house last week and today and I can't tell you how many concrete blocks and steel and re-bar that i found, but it hasn't missed a beat, this is one of those places that no one would put a mulcher as it would definately ruin some teeth.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower
That’s a pretty good motto!

Couple more questions:
1) is your machine standard or high flow?

2) if primarily mowing brush, bushes, limbs, etc….not grass….. is the dust created as bad as or worse than a rotary cutter behind a tractor?

Last edited:
   / Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #24  
That’s a pretty good motto!

Couple more questions:
1) is your machine standard or high flow?

2) if primarily mowing brush, bushes, limbs, etc….not grass….. is the dust created as bad as our worse than a rotary cutter behind a tractor?
1. Yes it is hi-flow, but the cutter still does a pretty good job in low flow, but when you get in bigger or thicker brush the hi-flow is a better performer.
2. IMO yes because on a tractor you are mowing where you have been and going away from it, with the skid steer you are mowing where you are going and driving into it, I don't know that it's actually any worse, but you definately get more of it.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #25  
I use an offset flail mower. Set vertically, I can cut limbs 8' off the ground:

lavorazione_del_terreno_trinciatrici_laterali_giraffa_xl_gallery_4_800x600.jpg

Set horizontally, it has a 6' offset to cut down to ground level. Works as a ditch mower as well:

lavorazione_del_terreno_trinciatrici_laterali_giraffa_xl_gallery_1_800x600.jpg

Pricier than the Lane Shark and won't cut as high, but it's enough for the cab to clear.

It's PTO driven and requires 2 rear remotes for the hyd. cylinders.

1. Yes it is hi-flow, but the cutter still does a pretty good job in low flow, but when you get in bigger or thicker brush the hi-flow is a better performer.
2. IMO yes because on a tractor you are mowing where you have been and going away from it, with the skid steer you are mowing where you are going and driving into it, I don't know that it's actually any worse, but you definately get more of it.
Your response to #2 has got me thinking. The dust generated right in front of you with the skid steer may be quite a bit. With this not being intended to be a “for hire” situation it may very well be a better option to just rent a cabbed skid steer every few years or give the Lane Shark a try.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #27  
Your response to #2 has got me thinking. The dust generated right in front of you with the skid steer may be quite a bit. With this not being intended to be a “for hire” situation it may very well be a better option to just rent a cabbed skid steer every few years or give the Lane Shark a try.
Almost a year ago I checked into renting a CTL with brushcutter from Caterpillar. It was going to cst about $4,500 for a month. That was delivered and picked up with insurance so I would not be out anything no matter what happened to it while I had it. So by now that same rental might be $5-5,500 for a month.

What cost numbers have you gotten from rental sources for a CTL/Skid Steer with a brushcutter? Im very interested in what cost numbers you or anyone else has on this.

The lane shark wil be much cheaper but you cannot do as much wth it either. Not that you necessairly need to but if you wanted to you would be limited.

Almost a year ago I checked into renting a CTL with brushcutter from Caterpillar. It was going to cst about $4,500 for a month. That was delivered and picked up with insurance so I would not be out anything no matter what happened to it while I had it. So by now that same rental might be $5-5,500 for a month.

What cost numbers have you gotten from rental sources for a CTL/Skid Steer with a brushcutter? Im very interested in what cost numbers you or anyone else has on this.

The lane shark wil be much cheaper but you cannot do as much wth it either. Not that you necessairly need to but if you wanted to you would be limited.
I spoke with the local Bobcat dealer and the representative on the phone discouraged trying to run a cutter on an open cab skid steer. Indicated it shouldn't work because of a safety switch on a front door not being detected and should prevent the hydraulics from working. Said the door was around $3K.

They rent a Bobcat T76 for $1370 a week and a 77" Vail brush cutter for $840 per week. Unlimited hours. Includes insurance. Not transporting. Haul it yourself. Found a website for Vail with several videos of their cutter in operation. Gives more credence to the value of the cab for this operation. I suspect there may be other rental locations around. I have seen a few here and there.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #29  
I spoke with the local Bobcat dealer and the representative on the phone discouraged trying to run a cutter on an open cab skid steer.
Thanks for the rate info on the Bobcat. That is even higher that i expected especially since it dowsn't include transportation.

And the Cat rental I was quoted was with the forestry package which includes the safety door. I doubt any rental place will rent one without it IF they rent a brushcutter on it at all.

The Kubota dealer I talked to said they had stopped renting their CTL's with brushcutters because of liability fears. I think they are a little paranoid but I guess that had some negative experiences. The closest they would do is a tractor with a bush hog.

/ Lane Shark vs Skid Steer Brush Mower #30  
Tree encroachment on our mostly wooded hillside farm has always been an issue. Used to be a lot hand work and labor intensive. Don’t know of a single tool that can do it all.

FEL hydraulic limb saw and Brown tree cutter now are my favorites for maintaining miles of fence lines, woods, and roads. Grapples too to handle the brush and trees once cut. Fabricated the the limb saw, $500 and used Brown cutter $1,200 so not too expensive.
IMG_2772.jpeg
IMG_2789.jpeg
IMG_2171.jpeg
IMG_2254.jpeg
IMG_2188.jpeg