Landscaping with a tractor?

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #11  
I have a 50-yard one. It was the reason I hand-dug the aforementioned ditch in the first place. It's b rutally ugly and a PITA to mow around. With the water table as it is these days I'd need a spider web of them.
The old timers here would create a blind ditch (It will not support equipment). They would create a trench, cut pines, and other trees, throw the limbs in the trench and cover the trench with the logs from the trees. Kinda interesting method to use a century ago.

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #12  
I have a fairly heavy tractor over 4000 pounds without attachments.
Attachments I possess: Tuffline heavy single Ripper, Howard 60" select-a-tilth, two bottom 16" plow, FEL, heavy 6 tine cultivator, Worksaver snow pusher w/ rubber edges, HLA grapple.

I have springs and low spots where the springs make the most trouble. This is in the 3-acre lawn part of the property, there are more springs in my other 3 acres of woods and swamp out back, but the state EPA won't let me touch them. YAY AMERICAN FREEDOM~!!!
The swamping is so bad that I often have to drag my lawnmower out of the muck, then abandon that part of the yard till drier times.

My land slopes downhill away from the house into the back and down into the woods. So there's that. I am at 700 Feet above sealevel

Mind you I've tried ripping. It doesn't seem to help.

I have dirt, lots and lots of dirt. The town was doing sidewalks and I told the contractor that I'd take his dirt. He was happy.
The soil down a foot or so has lots of clay it tends to clog drainage. Twice I've put a dump truck of rock and perf pipe in the same run and didn't know enough to use a sock and both times the clay blocked it up. I dug that trench by hand. Heavy forged bar, pickaxe, and shovel. That clay is tough

But things got worse.
More springs erupted with climate change. Last some odd years, we have been getting a different weather pattern than before in living memory. It rains and rains and rains in the spring then we get what metrologists are calling Rain Bombs too regularly for the land to dry up. It sort of does dry up in the high summer but never quite

This is where I run into a decision.
Do I dig and install drainage pipe gravel and sock it?
Or should I try using all that dirt to raise the land where I have swamping taking place?

If I dig I'll use the tiller and ripper and FEL to get a nice deep trench.
Or I can just build a screen sifting my free dirt and carry it over to the low spots?

Have you dealt with this? Know anyone who has?
Take a look at this; it is call GEO cell. I have seen it used to create a parking lot on a grassed area. While this will not eliminate the water it will give a solid base that will keep you form the muck.
1653923612810.png

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #13  
Can you just make swales
to steer the water? A ditch will prevent you from mowing or driving over but a wide swale will narrow down your wet area. French drains would be a second thought. Don't mess with piping, just deep trench filled back to grade with round rock.

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #14  
I have a fairly heavy tractor over 4000 pounds without attachments.
Attachments I possess: Tuffline heavy single Ripper, Howard 60" select-a-tilth, two bottom 16" plow, FEL, heavy 6 tine cultivator, Worksaver snow pusher w/ rubber edges, HLA grapple.

I have springs and low spots where the springs make the most trouble. This is in the 3-acre lawn part of the property, there are more springs in my other 3 acres of woods and swamp out back, but the state EPA won't let me touch them. YAY AMERICAN FREEDOM~!!!
The swamping is so bad that I often have to drag my lawnmower out of the muck, then abandon that part of the yard till drier times.

My land slopes downhill away from the house into the back and down into the woods. So there's that. I am at 700 Feet above sealevel

Mind you I've tried ripping. It doesn't seem to help.

I have dirt, lots and lots of dirt. The town was doing sidewalks and I told the contractor that I'd take his dirt. He was happy.
The soil down a foot or so has lots of clay it tends to clog drainage. Twice I've put a dump truck of rock and perf pipe in the same run and didn't know enough to use a sock and both times the clay blocked it up. I dug that trench by hand. Heavy forged bar, pickaxe, and shovel. That clay is tough

But things got worse.
More springs erupted with climate change. Last some odd years, we have been getting a different weather pattern than before in living memory. It rains and rains and rains in the spring then we get what metrologists are calling Rain Bombs too regularly for the land to dry up. It sort of does dry up in the high summer but never quite

This is where I run into a decision.
Or should I try using all that dirt to raise the land where I have swamping taking place?

If I dig I'll use the tiller and ripper and FEL to get a nice deep trench.
Or I can just build a screen sifting my free dirt and carry it over to the low spots?

Have you dealt with this? Know anyone who has?
I'd dig in tile, and do it after dark if necessary. Old fashion 4" clay tile that are about a foot long can be laid easily without much fanfare (i.e. dirt turned over) and work well (at least did for me back in the 60's. With a laser level, you could put the slope in easily (especially at night if you have to do this under the cover of night time).

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #15  
Clay is a hoot, put it on grade to drain to the woods or whatever is down hill. Fill low spots and nature should do the rest.

Where I have needed water to go in an unnatural direction, wide shallow water ways have been much better than drain tiles.

Worst case, trench to day light filled with 3 inch clean gravel.

Sometimes we do have to fight nature, but, it is always easier if you don't.

Best,

ed

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #16  
Sounds like you're already low enough.

I'd opt to bring in a layer of dirt, lay pitched, perforated pipe with a membrane over it (to keep holes clear) and cover it with dirt.

/ Landscaping with a tractor? #20  
Before you get yourself invited to a picnic behind bars, you best know the statutes and the rules about equipment in designated wetlands, state and federal. Both outfits have a gun and badge arm and they will het you.
Driving a wheeled vehicle across wetlands is dredging.
You do not get to repair, they hire one of their listed contractors to return the property to “as before” you just get the bill and the prison sentence.
Your usable land and designated wetlands are very different.
You can check the county wetlands maps on the Property Appraiser’s web site.