Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds!

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #1  

G31

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT347HC
I noticed this today with SGC05 grapple on my BX:
image.jpg
The weld seems to be under penetrated, and is beginning to tear away from the frame. This is where the left cylinder bracket connects to the square tube frame. Luckily, it is still under warranty. I will call my nearest Kubota dealer (I moved from another state recently.)

Using my Google-fu, I noticed there are at least two others posting this issue on another board. Both were completely torn out, much worse than mine.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #2  
When did you purchase the grapple?

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds!
March of last year. It was released only a month or so before I got it, so this issue may have been addressed.

Being that it has not bent or warped, I would just weld it up, but I fear my little Lincoln 100HD flux core welder won't be capable for the AR400 steel.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #4  
Clean the area thoroughly ,preheat with a torch to approx 450-500 deg F ,You shouldn't have a problem

Do a test pass after preheat see how it goes

Good Luck
Kevin

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #5  
Had you used it much? Stressed it?

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #6  
I have used the fool out of mine....after I get on my feet I will check mine also. I also got mine right after they first came out....in fact it was one reason I went with the BX.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #7  
I have a Land Pride SGC1560 grapple. I just checked mine and I see nothing that would qualify as a failed weld. Mine was purchased 04/2014. I've used mine to lift/move large & heavy sections of trees and big rocks. I've also used it quite a bit to back-drag and smooth after using my disk harrow. I would agree that where the hyd cylinders attach to the frame is probably the point of highest stress. I fired an email off to Land Pride - service section and await an answer.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #8  
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is wrapped in a tarp for the winter so I'll have to check it in a month or so when I start thinking about Springtime work. According to my salesman, I was the first one to purchase the grapple in New England, so I'm sure mine is a first run version. I will say, I had to do a lot of paint touch-ups since it had lot's of little rust spots where the paint had already chipped.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds!
No abuse. The only way I can see that weld cracking in the rear is from the closing force. I haven't crashed it into anything while open, either. It had been used only to move things, like branches, trash, and the occasional rock. I might have grabbed 3-4 rocks in its lifetime, and I was careful to center them and close it gently.

I will probably just take it in under warranty and have them deal with it. When the warranty runs out, I might take my chances with the welding, should it be needed.

/ Land Pride grapple owners, check your welds! #10  
No abuse. The only way I can see that weld cracking in the rear is from the closing force. I haven't crashed it into anything while open, either. It had been used only to move things, like branches, trash, and the occasional rock. I might have grabbed 3-4 rocks in its lifetime, and I was careful to center them and close it gently.

I will probably just take it in under warranty and have them deal with it. When the warranty runs out, I might take my chances with the welding, should it be needed.

Closing force should never crack a weld. The picture is not too clear but agree that looks like a bad weld from what I see. Since grapples are pretty easy to drop in the bed of pickup, I would take it back to the dealer for sure.

Last edited: