Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway)

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #11  
I have used the LP with good results on our clay soil. The key to any dirt work is to ensure the moisture content is right. Too wet is a MESS and too dry is like working concrete. If you rip up dry dirt it won't work well or stay where you put it. Watch the dirt start to dry and hit it when you drive on it without sinking in and the LP can still cut the surface. Then once the area is leveled out wheel roll it to compact.
I have gone in too early and completely sunk my LP and balled up lots of clay and weeds on the ground and in the attachment. I ended up adding weight to the LP so it would cut better. I can adjust the weight by adding or draining water from the barrell

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 61
   / Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway)
I have used the LP with good results on our clay soil. The key to any dirt work is to ensure the moisture content is right. Too wet is a MESS and too dry is like working concrete. If you rip up dry dirt it won't work well or stay where you put it. Watch the dirt start to dry and hit it when you drive on it without sinking in and the LP can still cut the surface. Then once the area is leveled out wheel roll it to compact.
I have gone in too early and completely sunk my LP and balled up lots of clay and weeds on the ground and in the attachment. I ended up adding weight to the LP so it would cut better. I can adjust the weight by adding or draining water from the barrell

Thanks, good advice on trying to target the right moisture. Do you not use scarifiers on yours?

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #13  
Thanks, good advice on trying to target the right moisture. Do you not use scarifiers on yours?
No Scarifiers. If you catch it right you will not them and they won't be pulling up rocks and chunks of earth. I only use scarifiers when I have a deep cut to make which it sounds like you do not. It may take a few sessions after a few rains to get it where you want it. Then seasonal maintenance to remove weeds etc. like we do on our firebreaks should be painless.

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #14  
A harley rake was designed for just what the Braccet wants to do. It will level / remove clumps and prep the soil for seeding. Renting one would be my first choice. If not then I would use a tiller and turn it into a powder then water and roll it back smooth.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway)
A harley rake was designed for just what the Braccet wants to do. It will level / remove clumps and prep the soil for seeding. Renting one would be my first choice. If not then I would use a tiller and turn it into a powder then water and roll it back smooth.

That does look like a cool attachment. Where are you guys renting attachments?

I generally see this as a skid steer attachment. Lots of guys renting out skid steers in my area, i guess i can ask if they could rent an attachment as well

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #16  
FWIW, I have a LPGS and it's a great tool for making things flat.. problem is that water sits on flat surfaces and then that water creates potholes. I'd use your box blade and first create pitch so the water has a pre determined direction to roll off. Then if you wanted to use a LPGS you could, but you need to be careful that you don't take out that pitch.

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #17  
Ahhh, any tractor time is good for the soul. The longer it takes, the better?
Haha yeah he spends all day on his ol' blue machine just crawling in 1st gear and tilling away. I just meant he overdoes it for the soil condition, not great for the plants to grow in. The soil compacts over the season and then the roots cant breathe. Just gets waterlogged to hell. hence why a lot of gardeners are more on the "no-till" side of the equation these days.

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #18  
I am not a professional but i have done some leveling with a cat with 6 way blade. How much land are you talking about that you are trying to level out?
You can rent a cat with a 6 way blade much cheaper than you can purchase almost any attachment or just hire someone. It would be a 1 time deal.

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #19  
I have a Land Pride LPGS - 770 pounds. I've pulled it across virgin meadows - scarifiers up. It sort of hops along - digging into the dirt - a little here - a little there. Uprooting tufts of meadow grass - here and there. A true waste of time and fuel.

Scarifiers - full down. Now it makes a REAL bloody mess of the meadow. Great clumps/wads of meadow grass are left behind.

Looks like a practice field for the Army Light Infantry.

So....... I till the field with my single bottom moldboard plow. Let it dry until just the right time. Now the LPGS has real dirt to deal with. It does a great job. Scarifiers set about an inch to an inch and a half below the side boards.

The field ends up with most of the sod under the dirt and quite smooth. Drag it with the LPGS again in the late fall. It's even smoother. All the sod has had a chance to decompose.

Depending upon what you want to grow - plant it now or wait until the coming spring.

/ Land plane for grading lumpy land (not a driveway) #20  
Haha yeah he spends all day on his ol' blue machine just crawling in 1st gear and tilling away. I just meant he overdoes it for the soil condition, not great for the plants to grow in. The soil compacts over the season and then the roots cant breathe. Just gets waterlogged to hell. hence why a lot of gardeners are more on the "no-till" side of the equation these days.
I too have turned soil to powder with a tiller and found out it ruins soil structure. I till MUCH less now.