Land Leveler

/ Land Leveler #1  

xcoder

Tractor
MF175
Hi team,

I want to make a land Leveler to tow behind my MF-175 . It's primary usage is to dislodge sub surface rocks that are poking through the surface and decimate saplings etc that have grown. This is to assist in preparation for running a slasher over the paddocks. I've already had most the property gone over with a Schuler rock rake and picker. I'm proposing to make this out of four pieces of train track, each 7ft long and roughly 400lb in weight. Each track will be connected equally distanced by heavy gauge tensile chain. I'll tow it using the drag link and most like rig up some sort of lifting jig on the 3PL to transport it prior to use.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Lee

/ Land Leveler #2  
Plasma cut holes in rails to feed continuous chain thru. Cross pin in chain link retaining rail could act like shear pin. Pull position retaining pins, take up slack, and lift all together.

Is there a best edge on the rail for this purpose?

/ Land Leveler #3  
I’m not sure how well it would do at pulling up rocks. Genuinely curious on that.

I dont know why i had the thought but this made me wonder if anyone’s ever just taken the wheels off a scrap car and just drug it around as a leveler. 😂

/ Land Leveler #4  
This type of leveling frame is the standard tool to level pastures after ploughing, or yards before paving, in the Netherlands

Behind farm tractors, leveling frames are made of railroad tracks or I beams, and consist of 3 to 5 consecutive beams so you can see the rear beam over the mudguards of the tractor, for precise grade eyeballing.

Last edited:
   / Land Leveler #5  
I liked that flat bar bending setup on the welding table shown in the first video.

I think something simple like that made with angle iron would work well enough for looser materials and soils. But on hard packed stuff, or attempting to dislodge larger rocks, by the time you got enough weight on it to really shave instead of just riding over stuff, it would probably start beating up the front of the angle iron at the same time, which is where you’d wish for the actual hardened, adjustable (to compensate for wear), reversible, replaceable cutting edges found on all the big land planes here in USA.

But i do think if you’re talking about a driveway and you go over it often enough that it’s never highly compacted, an angle iron thing like that would definitely work. I have seen some almost exactly like that for mini skid steers to use in yards, where i imagine the downpressure from the loader can force the lightweight implement to cut into the dirt just fine. 👍

/ Land Leveler #6  
I use a 7ft landplane with some added weight. It kicks up rocks well enough. Some of the rocks are collected and some bounce over the cutting blades. You might find your invention rips 50% of the grass out?

/ Land Leveler #7  
I too use a 7' or so opposing blade landplane that I made. Mine is heavy. We have no rocks in SC. That landplane is a leveling miracle.

/ Land Leveler #8  
I too use a 7' or so opposing blade landplane that I made. Mine is heavy. We have no rocks in SC. That landplane is a leveling miracle.
The landplane works best in areas without rocks. Mine needed a weight option for some jobs so I made this barrel rack. The full barrel doubles the weight to almost 1200 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 85
   / Land Leveler #9  
That I will have to take your word for. We have no rocks. I built mine to weigh over 1200 pounds.

/ Land Leveler #10  
I wouldn't waste the RR track on that. My uncle showed up with some drag around mess like that. Nobody was interested. Still, he chained it up and drug it around, swearing up and down how good it was. Just nobody else could see it. He's been gone ten years and ain't nobody even asked about his so called wonderful drag.

My brother and I built a box grader. That critter will change the curvature of the Earth, plus do all the things You ask in your particular circumstance here. Plus, others will ask you about it. Not so with a pile of junk to drag.

Yeah, we tried that and it really didn't work.