Land Leveler

/ Land Leveler #11  
I’m not sure how well it would do at pulling up rocks. Genuinely curious on that.

I dont know why i had the thought but this made me wonder if anyone’s ever just taken the wheels off a scrap car and just drug it around as a leveler. 😂
We tried rolling car wheels around to level the ground. Still doing scientific studies on that.

/ Land Leveler #12  
The landplane works best in areas without rocks. Mine needed a weight option for some jobs so I made this barrel rack. The full barrel doubles the weight to almost 1200 pounds.
If you had teeth on front edge likened to those on a box blade, it would loosen those rocks. Maybe no need to fool with water in and out your drum.

/ Land Leveler #13  
We tried rolling car wheels around to level the ground. Still doing scientific studies on that.
Oh i meant dragging the car with no wheels! 😂

Although i have seen ‘tire drag harrows’ and ‘rubber tire scrapers’ as tire-based smoothing implements.. I was thinking more like a car body flat on the ground drug sideways. Seems like old farms are just littered with car bodies sunk all the way to the dirt anyway.. hook some chains up and drag it! 🤣

/ Land Leveler #14  
Oh i meant dragging the car with no wheels! 😂

Although i have seen ‘tire drag harrows’ and ‘rubber tire scrapers’ as tire-based smoothing implements.. I was thinking more like a car body flat on the ground drug sideways. Seems like old farms are just littered with car bodies sunk all the way to the dirt anyway.. hook some chains up and drag it! 🤣
They're probably good cars, just had to use the wheels on something else.

/ Land Leveler #15  
Here are a few pics of things I've done. All were used where they had a chance to pop some rocks up. None reliably brought any rocks up larger than a softball.

The first drag I built was for the B7500, and the original setup was simply a pair of chains to drag it. The adjustment for how aggressive it became was by selecting form the choices of holes for the chain attachment in the leading flange of the first I-beam. Angular adjustment was shortening one or the other chain. When it became apparent it would be nice to pick it up for transport, it was a simple matter to us the lift boom.

The latest version with the original I-beams uses a big old blind flange. The flange adds weight and makes it easy to adjust the angle by dropping a pin through different bolt holes. Aggressiveness is via top link adjustment.

The big one was sketched up by me and built by some guys in our shop. Three sides are I-beams we had laying around and the front has sections of pipe added to keep the ends of the I-beams from digging in.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
  • P1010081 - Copy.JPG
    P1010081 - Copy.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
  • lp1.JPG
    lp1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
   / Land Leveler #16  
Not sure we are all reading the same page here ... OP wanted to pull rocks up. I want to avoid them. small rocks here are the tip of the iceberg. :oops: The weight is added for areas where there are no rocks.
Many yrs ago I had a 8ft length 10" I beam I drug around with a pickup. That thing kicked up plenty of rock

/ Land Leveler #17  
This type of leveling frame is the standard tool to level pastures after ploughing, or yards before paving, in the Netherlands

Behind farm tractors, leveling frames are made of railroad tracks or I beams, and consist of 3 to 5 consecutive beams so you can see the rear beam over the mudguards of the tractor, for precise grade eyeballing.
This tool looks like it's being used on alreaty loose material on a flat surface..thus you wouldnt really need to use it.

/ Land Leveler #18  
Here are a few pics of things I've done. All were used where they had a chance to pop some rocks up. None reliably brought any rocks up larger than a softball.

The first drag I built was for the B7500, and the original setup was simply a pair of chains to drag it. The adjustment for how aggressive it became was by selecting form the choices of holes for the chain attachment in the leading flange of the first I-beam. Angular adjustment was shortening one or the other chain. When it became apparent it would be nice to pick it up for transport, it was a simple matter to us the lift boom.

The latest version with the original I-beams uses a big old blind flange. The flange adds weight and makes it easy to adjust the angle by dropping a pin through different bolt holes. Aggressiveness is via top link adjustment.

The big one was sketched up by me and built by some guys in our shop. Three sides are I-beams we had laying around and the front has sections of pipe added to keep the ends of the I-beams from digging in.
I take it the last one works better?

/ Land Leveler #19  
I take it the last one works better?
Correct, although it's a bit bulky. The weight helps when knocking the high spots off and the half-pipe noses on the I-beams help keep them from digging in.

I built the other one when we had a gravel drive and it did fine. Since making the pipe flange modification, I've hardly used it. The last time was several years ago to smooth out fill when I poured a sidewalk.