Labour To Replace Foton Cab

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #11  
I really don't see 20 hours to R&R the cab since it has to be removed and reinstalled anyway to do the clutch. I would allow 12 hours to transfer any of your old components to the new cab, if appropriate. The clutch job includes the cab R&R, no? Something ain't quite right as far as I can see.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #12  
A body shop might be able to do something with it if they could find a square corner to start from.
Then I'd have to source some glass.
There is a heater overhead, and some switches for work light, wiper etc.

One of the "beams" across the lower front windshield is broken right off.

If worst comes to worst and it's not covered I could run it without a cab like many others do,
but the floor pans are build into the cab (factory installed) so I would have to find or make those,
and all the pedals need to come off to take the cab off. There's also a rear fender bent down.

If insurance won't cover this I'm not sure where to go from there. I can't afford 10 hrs labor at a shop
to just remove it, and I'm not physically able to do it myself.

Any opinions on the 20 hr cost to re and re??
I imagine the new cab will be bare. So I think if ya boy can do it in 20 hours, you Betta jump on that. Does it even come with glass? He better check that situation out real good. Can you get a cab at a junk yard? I've bought them before. It will be more plug and play from a junk yard.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #13  
I really don't see 20 hours to R&R the cab since it has to be removed and reinstalled anyway to do the clutch. I would allow 12 hours to transfer any of your old components to the new cab, if appropriate. The clutch job includes the cab R&R, no? Something ain't quite right as far as I can see.
If you have to swap interior, heat, air, seat...20 hours is pushing it.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #14  
Labeling and photographing everything, then disassembling the wiring, cab interior and HVAC, steering, hydraulic controls, etc, then reassembling it, troubleshooting whatever gremlins show up and fixing them. On top of that it is a job the mechanic has never done on this tractor. I think that 20 hours is light if anything. I would quote it out at 35-40 to protect myself, and bill less if I finished early. Getting a cab from EU or Asia is a risk that the dealer is taking because there is no return policy if its wrong.

If its a fully furnished replacement cab then 20 hours sounds closer to being right.

20 hours on a clutch job seems very high. Most tractors that cab can be supported and the front rolled away for a clutch job. Replacing a cab is not at all comparable to a clutch job as the amount of work is significantly more. I would expect 6-8 hours for a clutch job.

I once took 8 hours removing and installing a wiring harness on a skidsteer that had burnt. The stupid little things catch you. Had to lift the cab with a crane to run it correctly as the manufacture installed harness prior to cab being on the machine. The fuel solenoid wire was made incorrectly, every switch wire was the same color and had to be hand traced, the harness was missing two wires that I had to add in and a few other little issues. I had figured that the job would be 3-4 hours. This was an $2,000 OEM harness that should have plugged right in, or so I was told, glad I was paid by the hour and the boss was very understanding.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab
If I were the mechanic I would want to do the takeoff myself to know what goes where installing the new one.
Agreed. Yet they are a Mahindra dealer who does install cabs on new machines.
And the mechanic does own a foton.

First, I think the bulk of the clutch job was the R&R the cab. And that was sometime in the past. This is crazy times and now you have a junk cab to remove and replace with new. So instead of nice easy bolts to remove, he may be estimating some fight from it. I'm no tractor mechanic, but it seems reasonable to me.
The clutch estimate was last august.
And yes, judging by the bent floor and a slightly bent rear fender, the old cab will be under some tension.
Reasonable to me as well. Especially lining things for re-install.

Hello Yogi05, Replacement cab, is it shell or fully built up? I suspect the replacment cab is a shell that requires everything (lining control radio heater a/c etc)in your damaged cab to be transfered to your new cab. That would account for a lot of time.

Also removing a cab to do the clutch means a LOT of stuff to disconnect, then reconnect and ADJUST CORRECTLY. Again, time consuming.

Good Luck with the insurance company.
My understanding is it will be ready to install. Glass there and everything.
I made sure to point out it has overhead heat, front and rear wipers, and some switches etc. Again, I am assuming the new cab has all that with it.
I hope so because the headliner is damaged (cracked) and a few other things like that.
I also want to keep the old undamaged glass 'cuz, you know, stuff happens.

Last edited:
Labeling and photographing everything, then disassembling the wiring, cab interior and HVAC, steering, hydraulic controls, etc, then reassembling it, troubleshooting whatever gremlins show up and fixing them. On top of that it is a job the mechanic has never done on this tractor. I think that 20 hours is light if anything. I would quote it out at 35-40 to protect myself, and bill less if I finished early. Getting a cab from EU or Asia is a risk that the dealer is taking because there is no return policy if its wrong.

If its a fully furnished replacement cab then 20 hours sounds closer to being right.

20 hours on a clutch job seems very high. Most tractors that cab can be supported and the front rolled away for a clutch job. Replacing a cab is not at all comparable to a clutch job as the amount of work is significantly more. I would expect 6-8 hours for a clutch job.

I once took 8 hours removing and installing a wiring harness on a skidsteer that had burnt. The stupid little things catch you. Had to lift the cab with a crane to run it correctly as the manufacture installed harness prior to cab being on the machine. The fuel solenoid wire was made incorrectly, every switch wire was the same color and had to be hand traced, the harness was missing two wires that I had to add in and a few other little issues. I had figured that the job would be 3-4 hours. This was an $2,000 OEM harness that should have plugged right in, or so I was told, glad I was paid by the hour and the boss was very understanding.
I do trust this dealer, just suspicious of everyone :)
It sounds like maybe the majority of the clutch replace may have been messing with the cab. I dunno.
I have to try and push the insurance for an answer now because I'm looking at 3 or 4 mths to get it done and
that's well into snowy season here.

My thoughts exactly.
The clutch was a previous estimate that I didn't get done, but yeah, that estimate included the car re and re so hence the question of it sounded like a heavy estimate.
Possibly thinking it was really good money if it was insurance paying.
I also told him if they're not paying it ain't happening. I can not afford the cost of a cab, and I can not even afford him just removing the old one.
I'd have to remove it myself and run without the cab..