Labour To Replace Foton Cab

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #1  

Yogi05

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T25 Foton TB504
In May, an historic wind storm blew through my area. It doesn't match the devastation of a tornado, but it was like nothing I've ever seen before.
I ended up with $37K damage to my roof but I am still better off than people who lost whole outbuildings/barns etc.

Insurance covers my house.

What I'm worried about is my Foton TB504 tractor. It took a dead center hit from a falling tree. Insurance has not said if it is covered yet. They
just keep asking for pictures and estimates.

I got a local Mahindra dealer who is "familiar" with Foton (his mechanic owns one) to source parts and give an estimate.

I was surprised to find out cabs are available for a 2006 Foton.

The parts source says $8800 including shipped to them from Europe/China.

The local dealer added his labour (and shipping to him from the parts source).

So here's my question.

He has estimated 10 hours to remove the old cab, and another 10 hours to install the new cab.
Does this sound like a lot??

Last fall he had quoted 20 hrs to replace a clutch and that included cab removal, split the tractor etc.
Now he wants 20 hrs just to re and re the cab.

A you tube vid I glanced at said 6 hrs to install a simple aftermarket cab, so maybe he's not that far off.
But the "included in clutch replacement" has really raised my eyebrows.

Thoughts? Total estimate for all is $13 300

1657479026419.png
1657479047011.png

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #2  
Sorry for your situation, but the ROPS did a good job of protecting the tractor. Just curious if it could possibly be repaired by a body shop. Is there A/C and electronics in the cab roof?

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab
A body shop might be able to do something with it if they could find a square corner to start from.
Then I'd have to source some glass.
There is a heater overhead, and some switches for work light, wiper etc.

One of the "beams" across the lower front windshield is broken right off.

If worst comes to worst and it's not covered I could run it without a cab like many others do,
but the floor pans are build into the cab (factory installed) so I would have to find or make those,
and all the pedals need to come off to take the cab off. There's also a rear fender bent down.

If insurance won't cover this I'm not sure where to go from there. I can't afford 10 hrs labor at a shop
to just remove it, and I'm not physically able to do it myself.

Any opinions on the 20 hr cost to re and re??

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #4  
When you got the estimate from the dealer, was that with the knowledge on there part that you're looking for it to be covered by your insurance? If so, could you get a quote for the cost if you're paying out of pocket?

I know that's a bit shady all around, but I can't help but assume such things happen.

When you got the estimate from the dealer, was that with the knowledge on there part that you're looking for it to be covered by your insurance? If so, could you get a quote for the cost if you're paying out of pocket?

I know that's a bit shady all around, but I can't help but assume such things happen.
Exactly. That's why I raised the issue about a previous estimate that was a much larger repair with what appeared
to only be a few hours to re and re the cab included.

Yes, he knew it MIGHT be an insurance job. I specifically told him I didn't know if they would cover it or not at this point.

He has been around for a long time and I was told he was trustworthy which is why I went to him previously, and in the past
he did go out of his way to answer many questions for me, and fixed me up with an old stock PTO shaft once.

I am always suspicious, as you seem to be, but if the 20 hrs re and re seems like a reasonable charge then I'm good with it.
It's the clutch estimate including cab re and re that made me suspicious this time.

LOL I'm even suspicious enough to think he puts in a heavy estimate hoping insurance writes it off and I might put the money
toward the purchase of a new tractor from him. (pretty sure I said I would run it without a cab if it wasn't covered.)

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #6  
can you remove the cab yourself - might save 1/2 the labor. But still sure is an expensive cab. If you get it off, might have a better look at the condition or other problems on the tractor. Of course, all this DEPENDS on the ins decision. Do nothing until the insurance company makes a decision.

can you remove the cab yourself - might save 1/2 the labor. But still sure is an expensive cab. If you get it off, might have a better look at the condition or other problems on the tractor. Of course, all this DEPENDS on the ins decision. Do nothing until the insurance company makes a decision.
I generally am not physically able to do this type of work any more.
I anticipate other problems once the cab is off but I'm hopeful they're easily fixed.
I thought of trying to get it off myself so I can use the thing properly in the meantime. The thing that slows me down
for this is the pedals all need to come off to get the cab off and that requires laying underneath and possibly
a torch for heating. (see "physically able" comment above.)
And yes, it ALL depends on the insurance. They're taking their time on everything but to be fair there was billions of dollars damage in the area.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #8  
If I were the mechanic I would want to do the takeoff myself to know what goes where installing the new one.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #9  
First, I think the bulk of the clutch job was the R&R the cab. And that was sometime in the past. This is crazy times and now you have a junk cab to remove and replace with new. So instead of nice easy bolts to remove, he may be estimating some fight from it. I'm no tractor mechanic, but it seems reasonable to me.

/ Labour To Replace Foton Cab #10  
Hello Yogi05, Replacement cab, is it shell or fully built up? I suspect the replacment cab is a shell that requires everything (lining control radio heater a/c etc)in your damaged cab to be transfered to your new cab. That would account for a lot of time.

Also removing a cab to do the clutch means a LOT of stuff to disconnect, then reconnect and ADJUST CORRECTLY. Again, time consuming.

Good Luck with the insurance company.