LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #1  

jedsdead

Tractor
la145
I have a 4 yr old LA145. Recently started to have steering issues, front tires were becoming very worn etc etc. I noticed that the front tires did not seem aligned when you looked straight on. At first thought one of my spindles had become bent. But after looking underneath, saw a big crack in the axle itself.

Has anyone replaced one before? I've tried to find some instructions on the internet but no luck so far.

Please let me know if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jed

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #2  
The part has a pivot that is just a bolt as shown in this diagram. Remove the deck and you should have easy access to the pivot bolt. Put a jack under the frame and raise the mower for even easier access. The axle is part item #3 in the diagram below. Its part number from your JD dealer is: GY20778BLE , but I don't know the price.

LA145FrontAxle.jpg

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help
thanks Jim. It looks like i have to remove the muffler before I can pull out the bolt. Was hoping somebody could tell me if there is a way around this.

Russ

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #4  
Hi Russ,

Had to do the same thing with my old JD rider mower. Yes, the muffler had to come off as well as the mower deck. Good news is that the pivot pin in not very expensive. Good luck with the project.

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #5  
I have a 4 yr old LA145. Recently started to have steering issues, front tires were becoming very worn etc etc. I noticed that the front tires did not seem aligned when you looked straight on. At first thought one of my spindles had become bent. But after looking underneath, saw a big crack in the axle itself.

Has anyone replaced one before? I've tried to find some instructions on the internet but no luck so far.

Please let me know if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jed
We also have a 5 yr old LA145 first couple of years it worked well. Our front end tires were not aligned also toe in toe out problem. Went to our Deere parts store and bought new bushings, and started looking on the net, well instead of bushings deere in now selling selling wheel bearings to replace the bushings. We found the problem was the bushings were wearing down the spindles. We have not put the new bearings on because now the front axel broke. The spindles run around $40.00 each and the bearings will be around $32.00 for the 4 needed. There are online diagrams erreplacementparts.com if this helps. Also replacement bearings number AM127304. Not really happy with Deere John at this point.

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #6  
In my opinion, these mowers are absolute maintenance money pits. It seems Deere quality at the low end of their line is less even than MTD or AYP. The only saving grace is cheap parts and availability. I have almost 200 hours on my LA145 and will make a fish habitat of it in my pond when/if I reach 250 hours. At 250 hours, the mower will have cost me about $10 per hour of operation. I think it should be around $5 per hour to be satisfactory.

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #7  
In my opinion, these mowers are absolute maintenance money pits. It seems Deere quality at the low end of their line is less even than MTD or AYP. The only saving grace is cheap parts and availability. I have almost 200 hours on my LA145 and will make a fish habitat of it in my pond when/if I reach 250 hours. At 250 hours, the mower will have cost me about $10 per hour of operation. I think it should be around $5 per hour to be satisfactory.

Jinman, I read all the horror stories here abut the la line, but I would just like to report that I am in my 7th season with mine, and I still have the original belts. The only thing I have replaced are the fluids and filters.
Just want to let you know, there are a few lucky ones of us out here.

/ LA 145 Front Axle - replacement help #8  
Jinman, I read all the horror stories here abut the la line, but I would just like to report that I am in my 7th season with mine, and I still have the original belts. The only thing I have replaced are the fluids and filters.
Just want to let you know, there are a few lucky ones of us out here.

Well, I'm really happy for you. Being in your 7th season is exceptional with no repairs. How many hours is that? If you have a small lawn, 7 seasons could be less than somebody with 1 season and a big lawn. The hour meter really tells the longevity story. That said, your mower doesn't have an electric PTO does it? I'd bet that you gently engage the PTO rather than slamming it on like the models with electric PTO clutches. The bigger decks that get slammed with electric 'instant-on' clutches make life of a idler pulley very rough. Of course, I kept my mower under a cover and under my deck. It's been out in the weather very little and yet the paint is peeling off in great big chunks from the metal parts (the plastic hood is perfect). I also had a gasoline tank that split along the back where it was under no rubbing or pressure. I still can't figure out that. Luckily, everything has been reasonably priced or I've come up with a work-around. If I had to haul my mower to the dealer and pay him for repair, I'd be in the poor-house by now.:( From the numbers of these mowers I see for sale on craigslist, I can only surmise that I am not the only person with less than stellar performance.