L5740 recent purchase

/ L5740 recent purchase #1  

HorsPower

Tractor
Kubota
For the past two years I've been searching for a ~60 hp hydrostatic compact Kubota. I went back and forth between the L5740 and L6060. Ultimately I decided I wanted to stick with the non-regen, less emissson controlled model. I also wasnt thrilled with the placement of the loader hydro lines on the L6060.

Last week a dealer listed this 5740 on Tractorhouse. It was a traded-in 2013 with 100 hrs, LA854 loader, 2 rear remotes, 3rd function, defrost windows, f/r wipers, f/r work lights and stereo.

It was a 4.5hr drive to New York to get it. On my way to pick it up, I was also able to pick up 3 pairs of used rear wheel weights. Does anyone know the specs on the required hardware to install the wheel weights? I'm guessing standard 3/4" carriage bolts will do the trick.

I'm also planning to do a 4shorts air ride seat conversion and add oem front fenders.

It's going to be fun moving snow with this thing this year!

Attachments

• IMG_6946.JPG
    IMG_6946.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 149
   / L5740 recent purchase #3  
L5740 is a solid performer. Hope you get many years of snow free driveways.

/ L5740 recent purchase #4  
Very nice tractor.

I bought an L6060 ROPS tractor almost 2 years ago. I would have preferred a 5740 to avoid the Tier IV nonsense but the likelihood of finding a nearly new ROPS version was so low that I decided to buy the 6060. I cannot use cab tractors because I am constantly driving near and underneath trees.

So far, the DPF regen has been unnoticeable (aside from the cost). The only way that I know that it has regenerated is by looking at the bar graph in the display.

I've 2 rear weights on each rear wheel that were installed at the dealer using the factory bolt kit. I change my own tires so always use cast iron rather than liquid ballast. I bought the rear ballast box for use both my M9960 and L6060. The box is filled with playground sand, which I left in the bags.

The weights are attached with carriage bolts. The bolts attaching the outer weight to the inner weight is about 5" X 3/4" but appears to be metric as a 1 1/8" socket is a sloppy fit on the nut. The bolt attaching the inner weight to the wheel center may be shorter but is not measurable without removing the outer weight. You can buy the bolt kit from your dealer but it will be expensive. Alternatively, your dealer should be able to provide the specifications of the bolts.

Curious as to why you would want front fenders. They would likely be quickly damaged for my purposes.

SDT

/ L5740 recent purchase
SDT - Thanks for that info. The dealer qouted me $289 for each wheel weight, and $67 for each hardware kit. No way I was paying $1800+ for three sets of factory weights. I found these 6 weights for $570 (used), now I just need to track down the hardware and a couple cans of kubota orange paint. I'd imagine a trip to the local hardware store would produce most (if not all of) the hardware for all three sets, for less than $67.

I agree with you regarding tire service, which is why I started with the wheel weights. I'm interested to see the stability and traction with the weights installed. In the end, I may end up adding rimguard in combination with the wheel weights. Aside from the added complexity of tire service (which hopefully will be infrequent), there doesn't seem to be any diadvantages to having the most weight possible (im not worried about compaction for my use).

The front fenders are for winter. Running salty roads results in spraying salty water all over every window on the tractor. If they turn out to be vulnerable the rest of the year, I will just remove them for the remainder of the year.

/ L5740 recent purchase #6  
I typically have my 6ft Land Pride box blade on the rear. With that 1000lbs hanging off the back, I never have an issue lifting full capacity. I don't like wheel weights as I like the tractor as light as possible when mowing.

/ L5740 recent purchase #7  
Congratulations on your new L5740HSTC, I traded in my perfectly good L5030HSTC to avoid the regen as well as hose and fuel tank location on the new models. Mine is pretty much the same as yours and I love the air ride seat. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/301405-grammar-air-ride-seat-5740-a.html?highlight=

After two or three years, I added two weights per side in addition to windshield wiper fluid. We have all the equipment on hand to refill and my brother has dealt with tractor tires for lots of years. In our hills the added weight helped backing up slopes even with 1100 pounds on my 3PH.

Paul was a great source for us, but he no longer participates on the forums, lots of You-Tube and old threads to help though.

Attachments

• DSCN0865E.jpg
    DSCN0865E.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74