L3130 - upgrade

/ L3130 - upgrade #1  

DaNag

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3130HST w/LA723, HD bucket
I've an L3130, bought new back in 2005. It's been an awesome piece of equipment, but with a new piece of property acquired recently I'm considering an upgrade. The lack of power was not a huge issue on our relatively flat 5 acres, but we now have 40 acres of timberland in the PNW, and the terrain is anything but flat.

The 3130 gets stuff done up there, but we're needing more power - both PTO and loader. I've a Woodmax chipper on the 3130, but even with new/sharp knives it's only efficient up to about 4" material - and we've a constant need to clean up 6-8" windfall. Also, we're moving around rocks and larger timber with regularity and the LA723 is often not up to the task.

We'd like to stick with Kubota. We've a good dealer we just picked up a new U27 from, and I'm a fan of him and the brand. I've asked him what he thinks might be a short list of potential upgrades, and while I trust him - he is a dealer, and there's certainly incentive for him to move what's in stock. I don't mind waiting if there are better options and there's likely less bias getting input here.

He mentioned he has an L4060 in stock w/cab. Our U27 has a cab, and I'm a convert - especially on the new property where we're constantly encountering wasp and hornet nests during the summer and fall. And, since any new unit will see somewhat routine snow work in the winter, being out of the elements with heat is appealing.

What we don't want, is something significantly larger in size than the L3130. A bit bigger is fine, and with the need for more loader capability that's certainly to be expected. However, so much of our work involves getting into tight-ish spots between trees. Maneuverability is a high priority.

Perhaps more questions need asking/answering, but based on the above - what in the orange line should we be considering?

TIA.

/ L3130 - upgrade #2  
I really like my L4060 cab tractor. It's a very capable machine, and comfortable to operate. I use it primarily as a snow plowing tractor, but also for field mowing, fence installation, mobile wheel barrow, and to power a 15kw pto generator.
I think the L4060 has a lift capacity of maybe 200-300lbs more than the L3130, so if fel capacity is an issue you may want to look close at those specs.

/ L3130 - upgrade #3  
The L4060 is a very nice machine but just 10 more HP and loader is the 805 which is not a big jump from what you have now 723 is 1600 Lbs and the 805 is 1770.

The L5460 or 6060 with the 1005 (2200 lbs lift) loader IMO would be a better upgrade and the size increase from the 4060 is only 5" length and 2" width.

/ L3130 - upgrade #4  
I don't think you're going to be happy running your wood chipper on the 4060. I agree with Carl that you probably want the 6060 for more pto hp to run the chipper.

/ L3130 - upgrade
Thanks much for the feedback. I'm reading up on the options mentioned and will make plans to go see and demo as many of them as possible.

While my original intent was to buy new, I've been out of things for so long I forgot about modern diesel emissions. As evidenced by the fact I still own the 3130, I tend to keep things a very long time. I've read plenty of horror stories in the automotive world about modern diesel engines and their added complexity...which is why my trusty '97 Powerstroke ain't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Can we consider the Tier 4 changes to modern Kubotas tested and reliable? Too soon to tell? Or, is it an ongoing and unsettled debate?

Hopefully not a can of worms with this inquiry, but if there's money and complexity to be saved hunting for a well cared for used model - I'm patient. 😁

/ L3130 - upgrade #6  
It seems the L4060-6060 don't have many issues if you read this thread. 2019 L6060 Regens

You will need to go back to 2012-13 to find a non Tier 4 I believe.

/ L3130 - upgrade #7  
understand your need to maneuver in tight spaces. but you also mention lack of power of current tractor. how much increase in Fel & pto hp will you gain with what you are looking at in the replacement you're considering?
you now have 40 acres, could be a number of unforeseen future projects & applications for a tractor.

you're wise to post here for ideas...before the new tractor fever overtakes you, step back & look at what your expanding needs might look like. there are few substitutes for weight & power in future projects. (safer too)
all the best in what you decide. regards,

/ L3130 - upgrade
understand your need to maneuver in tight spaces. but you also mention lack of power of current tractor. how much increase in Fel & pto hp will you gain with what you are looking at in the replacement you're considering?
you now have 40 acres, could be a number of unforeseen future projects & applications for a tractor.

Good points, but we've got heavy stuff available to us for larger projects. We've access to big excavators, dozers, graders and we picked up an old offroad 10 yard dump truck. We're fortunate to have this access, and need it for the big open areas - but for day in and out work, we're mostly moving about tight 2-track roads where anything much larger than the 3130 simply won't fit. While I've yet to see any of the bigger units mentioned here in person, the specs look promising even on the L6060. Wheelbase looks to be only 4" longer than the 3130, width and length are only 7-8" increase each as well.

With a U27 and the 3130, we're getting most everything done that needs doing on a daily basis...but of the two, the 3130 shows its limits much more often. Mostly on the PTO end, but we've got a grapple on order that I'm guessing won't be useful for much more than brush and small trees. Big logs and rock moving will be somewhat routine.

/ L3130 - upgrade #9  
you've definitely done your homework & are on the right track, & good luck with the machine you eventually find best for the job

/ L3130 - upgrade #10  
I went from a L3301 to a MX5400 and the upgrade was worth it.