L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options?

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #21  
Sometimes I forget that not everyone has the big trees we get. They can be a pain to deal with. I don't see anything in the pics that would stress a 30M or 35M on a 2501.

Get three or so chokers (chain ones fit in the pockets in the 35M) so you can pull multiple logs at once. A self releasing snatch block is useful too. There's been discussion here that I found useful in selecting mine.

The trick for the leaner is pulling from high enough on the tree. I've done it with an arborist's throw weight and line and used that to pull up one end of the rope for a power puller (like a comealong but for rope and does not run out of travel). That's lighter than a choker and easier to get up into the tree.

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #22  
A winch is certainly the answer to getting hillside wood that is otherwise inaccessible. Here is my 6600 lb winch and 30 hp tractor. Look at the cable angle to get an idea of the steepness.

BigFirWinchTrail1.JPG

BigFirWinchTrail2.JPG

BigFir6.JPG

As others have said winches do not loose value. I paid $1700 for the Farmi JL290 new in 2001. Getting my money back would not be a problem and that is after it paid for itself already pulling wood out.

gg

Last edited:
   / L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #23  
As Gordon says, it's about the stability of the machine the winch is attached to. I've got the smallest offering by Norse (Igland-same thing), on my 25 hp tractor and I'm reasonably certain it could do all you mention.

I logged right around 200 stems from a larch plantation I'm thinning this winter, and while the diameters were small, usually just ten inches or so, I was leaving them long, and larch wood is dense and heavy. Still, I'd often pull four or five lashed together, and never above idle on my tractor.

You don't want high rpms and things moving too fast. You have to watch for hangups on stumps, etc. Otherwise, your tractor might end up arse over teakettle.

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #24  
The vehicle type winch you linked from Amazon would be painfuly slow and it draws a considerable amount of current. If you go that route I'd consider an alternative power source other than your tractor's battery, possibly another battery being charged by a small generator.

Where are you located?
Hydraulic not electric, he never mentioned electric.

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #25  
Keep in mind, a "recovery" winch, either electric or hydraulic is intended for intermittent use when vehicles ability to navigate on its own is compromised(?) ... A logging winch is meant for continuous duty as for work like extraction wood and maybe other uses.... Yes there is a difference in designed application/usage...
We bought winches for tow trucks and been using for years now. Hydraulic winch for a wrecker. I don't think it was any more expensive, if not cheaper, than electric. We made the fairlead, factory style did not hold up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_165235.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165235.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
   / L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #26  
Yes Roustabout, but tow truck winches are full duty recovery winches... More rugged and designed for continuous use, not like like intermittent use winches found on front of 4WD pickup trucks and Jeeps .... One has to know a bit about its design criteria of winch for its intended use...

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #27  
Yes Roustabout, but tow truck winches are full duty recovery winches... More rugged and designed for continuous use, not like like intermittent use winches found on front of 4WD pickup trucks and Jeeps .... One has to know a bit about its design criteria of winch for its intended use...
Well, since he never mentioned electric, and wanted hydraulic, he was probably going to end up with one anyway. My brother was wanting a winch to put on that grapple. I said nope, you want one for a wrecker. He found one I think in Texas. Also have a Farmi. I'd been on his case for a while about a winch. Now, he only uses a winch, no more grapple use. Chain chokers work best because the tractor doesn't have the height of a skidder. Which, we have a John Deere skidder also. But, we totally redid it and it's still in his shop. Took it down to the frame. Sandblasted painted whole thing. We have 18 wheeler wheels on it now. Bolt pattern is not the same. Number of holes not the same. But a few lug bolts lined up, and it's a lot easier to work around. I just cranked it for him last week. We went ahead and bought new shifter cables for it. Already had the old ones on, those were a pain to change. Rebuilt the transmission too. It's a little more together than in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_165410.jpg
    IMG_20220721_165410.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
   / L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #28  
Lately, I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to add a forestry winch. I have an area of cedar I'd like to clear, but it's hillside and a winch would allow me to winch the trees out without getting the tractor on the hillside. Something like the 35m uniforest would seem to be the right size for my 35hp tractor, but maybe too much for my L2501?
i have a FX85 on a L3301. The tractor handles it no problems. i wouldn't go bigger but no need to go smaller either. Well suited in my situation.

I operate on pretty flat ground, softer soils (important factor) so beaver tail works very well in keeping stresses off tractor, 165' cable. My trees are pine and pulling 2 at a time is about 5,000#'s (45-55#/ft avg) with no complaints. Running 2 lines through a pulley would make it even easier if needed but then of course total wieght on tractor becomes more of a concern if pushed.

I could sell my well used but cared for winch for about what I paid for it so I think very cost effective.

Most people with tractors seem to forget tractors are not skidders. Tires not as robust and prone to chuncking out getting damaged. underarmour very rare so stick/twig damage to filters/wiring/hoses can be frequent and costly. i will never lend any of my tractors for others to use as skidder (never / ever) as damage is very easy to get. Field work not so worried. So a winch solves a lot of these risks as I keep out of the bush alot more and work from roads/edges and I think is a great investment as keeps repairs down and used very easy to sell.

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #29  
Wow, my bad. I didn't know they made a hydraulic style like that!

Are they any quicker than the electric powered ones?
They go fast enough for pulling logs. Speed is not your friend when dragging things that can hang up.

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #30  
I have a Hudson 35m that I ran on my new holland 1620 and now on my massey 1740m. IMO was very well matched for the 1620 and slightly undersized now for the 1740m. Zero complaints with the winch functionally, the 1740m could definitely handle the 45m winch is all. It would be perfect on your L2501. Once you have one, it's a godsend!
IMG_20220814_155742947.jpg