L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options?

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options?
I used a 3/8 x 100' cable to pull down a few small trees that hung up in the adjoining trees yesterday. Working with a fixed length of cable worked in part because I had an open area to operate the tractor, but it would have been nice to be able to reel in or out as much cable as actually needed. The process of manually winding up the cable at the end of the day wasn't something I'd want to do often.

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #32  
I used a 3/8 x 100' cable to pull down a few small trees that hung up in the adjoining trees yesterday. Working with a fixed length of cable worked in part because I had an open area to operate the tractor, but it would have been nice to be able to reel in or out as much cable as actually needed. The process of manually winding up the cable at the end of the day wasn't something I'd want to do often.
I had forgotten all about winding the cable up, it sure is not fun.

I have a smallish wooden box that I keep the cable in:

Cable and snatch block.jpg

So now you got me wondering if a shop air hose reel would work?

I also use a skidding cone to help prevent the end of the log which is being pulled from catching on rocks, stumps or base of other tress. Being heavy plastic the cone allows the log to over and around many objec objects.
Skidding Cone.jpg

/ L2501 forestry winch too small to be useful? Other options? #33  
I'm thinning a young plantation, stems being cut are around 10 inches at the base and are being left about 20-25 ft in length, so winching out of the stand involves numerous opportunities to damage the remaining trees. To prevent, I cut the bottoms off some 5-gal plastic buckets and slit them up the side. These can be quickly placed around trunks at rub points along the skid path of that particular tug.

Would not work for larger trees but stand density will be lower in subsequent rounds of thinning, so more felling and skidding room by then.

I thought about one of those cones, and may end up with one at some point. Snatch blocks are on my shopping list too.