L185 Kubota

/ L185 Kubota #1  

Arkansas Dave

Tractor
Kubota L185
Picked up a new project today in descent shape and I plan to make it much better, it is a Kubota L185 with 669 hours in very good shape
and I am fairly sure it has the original tires if they were Firestones because that what it has and they have minor wear and look the age of
the tractor due to dry cracking in places. I am going to use it around my place for mowing, blading, tilling, plowing, skidding small trees and misc.
I am going to start out by picking up a change of oil and filters for it. I have ran about every kind of equipment there is including tractors but this is
the first one i have ever owned. I need to buy some equipment so if anyone can give me some advice on what size mowers, blades and etc. I need
for it I would appreciate it.

thanks
Dave
20210712_174334_HDR.jpg

/ L185 Kubota #2  
Dave, Nice find. It's a Gray Market version, yet still durable.

I attached the engine service manual. That's all I have on this model.

Additionally, the L185 is related to the L235 & L275. The OPS manual is attached for those.

Typically, a 6FT mower or less width, straight blade is no more than 1-FT wider than the rear wheels each side.

Because it's a Gray Market, you would need to measure the rear PTO spline shaft diameter and count the splines to verify it can match American implements. AND, ensure it spins the right way. ;)

Attachments

• L235-L275 Ops.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 153
  • L185_l235_l245_l275_l285_l295_l305_l345_l355 shop manual.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 161
   / L185 Kubota #3  

Kubota L185​

Kubota L185 tractor photo
1977 - 1982
Compact Utility tractor

Production
Manufacturer:Kubota
Type:Compact Utility tractor
Original price:$6,400 (1982 )

Variants
L185TP:2WD turf
L185FP:2WD ag
L185DT:4WD
Kubota L185 Power
Engine:17 hp
12.7 kW
PTO (claimed):15 hp
11.2 kW
Kubota L185 Engine
Kubota 0.7L 2-cyl diesel
Fuel tank:5.8 gal
22.0 L
Engine details ...
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD (L185DT)
Steering:manual
Cab:Open operator station.
Transmissions:8-speed gear
16-speed creeper
Transmission details ...
Tractor hitch
Rear Type:I
Control:position control
draft control optional
Rear lift (at ends):2200 lbs
997 kg
Power Take-off (PTO)
Rear PTO:transmission
Rear RPM:540/700/1000 (1.375)
Engine RPM:540@2430
702@2430
1007@2430
Front RPM:2430
Kubota L185 Tires
Standard tires (ag):Front: 4.00-15. Rear: 9.5-24 (2WD)
Front: 6.00-14. Rear: 9.5-24 (4WD)

Dimensions
Wheelbase:60 inches
152 cm
Length:100 inches
254 cm
Width:54 inches
137 cm
Height (steering wheel):53 inches
134 cm
Height (exhaust):76.1 inches
193 cm
Ground clearance:10 inches
25 cm
Front tread:39.375 inches
100 cm
Rear tread:40.5 inches
102 cm
Kubota L185 Weight
Shipping:1595 lbs
723 kg (L185FP)
1628 lbs
738 kg (L185TP)
1785 lbs
809 kg (L185DT)
Kubota L185 attachments
front-end loader
Electrical
Ground:negative
Battery volts:12
Page information
Last update:February 7, 2017
Copyright:Copyright 2021 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / L185 Kubota #4  
Judging by tires, you have the 2-WD model L185FP.

There is only so much a 17-hp, 2-WD tractor weighing a scant 1,595 pounds can accomplish.

I am going to use it around my place for mowing, blading, tilling, plowing, and skidding small trees.

Mowing with a 48" Rotary Cutter or a 54" Finish Mower should be fine, plowing with a 12" single bottom plow marginal but OK in moist soil, roto-tilling more likely to be satisfactory than moldboard plowing, blading probably not too realistic, skidding small trees OK.

Fitting contemporary Three Point Hitch implements to your tractor may or may not be tricky. Research fit carefully before buying. T-B-N is a good place for "fit" advice.

Your implement choices will pretty much be 48" to 54" width in the lightest weights due to traction limitations.

A good find and a good tractor to learn with.

Improvements in tractors since 1939 in approximate order: 4-WD, Industrial Tires (for the Army Air Force and Naval aviation?), Power Steering, "independent" PTOs, Loaders, Diesel Engines, Category 2-3-4-5 TPH, Landscaping tractors of <2,000 pounds bare tractor weight, hydrostatic transmissions, shuttle shift gear transmissions, Cabs with heat and AC. And, continuously, shields separating operator from moving parts.

Last edited:
   / L185 Kubota
Dave, Nice find. It's a Gray Market version, yet still durable.

I attached the engine service manual. That's all I have on this model.

Additionally, the L185 is related to the L235 & L275. The OPS manual is attached for those.

Typically, a 6FT mower or less width, straight blade is no more than 1-FT wider than the rear wheels each side.

Because it's a Gray Market, you would need to measure the rear PTO spline shaft diameter and count the splines to verify it can match American implements. AND, ensure it spins the right way. ;)
It has been running a standard finish mower and I was told the 1501 was the gray version of the 185 but they may have told me wrong the Kubota dealer said they could get parts for me so that's good anyway. I appreciate the info and any help I am learning about it as I go.

thanks
Dave

/ L185 Kubota
Judging by tires, you have the 2-WD model L185FP.

There is only so much a 17-hp, 2-WD tractor weighing a scant 1,595 pounds can accomplish.

I am going to use it around my place for mowing, blading, tilling, plowing, and skidding small trees.

Mowing with a 48" Rotary Cutter or a 54" Finish Mower should be fine, plowing with a 12" single bottom plow marginal but OK in moist soil, roto-tilling more likely to be satisfactory than moldboard plowing, blading probably not too realistic, skidding small trees OK.

Fitting contemporary Three Point Hitch implements to your tractor may or may not be tricky. Research fit carefully before buying. T-B-N is a good place for "fit" advice.

Your implement choices will pretty much be 48" to 54" width in the lightest weights due to traction limitations.

A good find and a good tractor to learn with.

Improvements in tractors since 1939 in approximate order: 4-WD, Industrial Tires (for the Army Air Force and Naval aviation?), Power Steering, "independent" PTOs, Loaders, Diesel Engines, Category 2-3-4-5 TPH, Landscaping tractors of <2,000 pounds bare tractor weight, hydrostatic transmissions, shuttle shift gear transmissions, Cabs with heat and AC. And, continuously, shields separating operator from moving parts.
I was meaning blading loose dirt and gravel in the road and low spots but very true on blading packed dirt that takes mucho grande horsepower. I appreciate all you good peoples advice and support I am new to the Kubota brand tractor the only other kubota tractor I have ever ran is a M9000 cab model and other kubota powered machines.

Dave

/ L185 Kubota #7  
What a good looking tractor. If it were me, I get some implements but leave the basic tractor alone. I wouldn't do any mod that could not be un-modded quickly. Change all the oils, etc but that tractor is great as it is for light work around a home or farm. It's a keeper if it only pulls a lawn mower.

I don't think it's gray market at all. I've seen a number over the years and gray market never entered the conversation.

/ L185 Kubota #8  
It has been running a standard finish mower and I was told the 1501 was the gray version of the 185 but they may have told me wrong the Kubota dealer said they could get parts for me so that's good anyway. I appreciate the info and any help I am learning about it as I go.

thanks
Dave

I pulled the manuals off of a Gray Market only site in Japan. :) Possible the L185 was sold over there too? No idea on my end.

/ L185 Kubota
Here is a chart I found at Kubota:

Dave

/ L185 Kubota
What a good looking tractor. If it were me, I get some implements but leave the basic tractor alone. I wouldn't do any mod that could not be un-modded quickly. Change all the oils, etc but that tractor is great as it is for light work around a home or farm. It's a keeper if it only pulls a lawn mower.

I don't think it's gray market at all. I've seen a number over the years and gray market never entered the conversation.
Thanks! I think I am going to keep it as close to stock as possible it will mainly be used for mowing with the finish mower.

Dave