L vs M series Kubotas?

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #1  

Jason280

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330
I've had a Kubota L4330 since around 2006, and just sold it with plans on replacing with a new L4701. The 4330 was dead solid reliable, and never had any issues with the tractor...so I have been very happy with the L series. On the other hand, the dealer is offering an MX5200 for around $3k more...question is, is the extra 4-5hp and beefier MX frame worth an additional $3k? I know the MX series offer rear remotes and telescoping lift arms, any other significant advantages?

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #2  
Between the L and MX or L and M?

For the L to MX the big thing for me was FEL capacity (~950lbs vs ~2k+) which I wanted to effectively use a grapple and move round bales. The next thing was PTO HP (~35hp vs ~45hp) which I wanted for mowing and whole house generator, still haven't gotten a 3pt genny but I'm glad I have plenty of HP for mowing.

The jump from L to M would be even greater, not so much FEL capacity but you're in the mid 50's for PTO HP.

/ L vs M series Kubotas?
I need to check, but it was likely an MX series (now that I think about it).

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #4  
I need to check, but it was likely an MX series (now that I think about it).
Yes please update your original post to L vs MX if that is the case. The M series is Ag Utility, no HST transmission offering (gear only)...just a machine built for different purposes than a compact (L) or compact utility (MX).

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #6  
MX has larger wheels and tires front and rear than any L.

MX has heavier Category 2 Three Point Hitch. Kubota provides pin bushings so you can pull Category 1 implements equally well.

MX has two part rims when you order R4 tires, so rear wheel stance is adjustable with R4 tires.

Probably three times as many units of MX are sold, relative to L4701.

Buy the MX.

If you are over 55 years of age buy a Kubota 'Grand L'. Your aging body will thank you every day.

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #7  
I have an L4300 and an MX5100. The MX is much more substantial and I take that one whenever it works for me. Both are absolutely first class and totally reliable so no problem there. If I had to pick one it would be the MX.

My only issue would be TIER 4 concerns.

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #8  
We had an L3800 and needed to move up in size. We compared the L4701 and the MX series and settled on the MX5800. We really like it. For a relatively small additional cost, you will get a lot more capacity all around with the MX.

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #9  
Jason, your L4430 is a "Grand L" model. The L4701 you are considering is a "standard L" model. It will have fewer features and may offer the same or even slightly less performance than your 4330 even though it has a bit more hp. In contrast, an MX would be a step up from the 4330. Not a huge jump, but enough you would notice.

Up to you decide what you want. Was there anything specific about the 4330 prompting thoughts of replacing it? The new ones you're looking at are more similar to your current tractor than they are different.

/ L vs M series Kubotas? #10  
I went from an L to a MX. The MX is a nice step up and a good deal heavier duty for not a whole lot more money.