Kubota's dipstick

/ Kubota's dipstick #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
OK...How do you measure the oil on your Kubota? With the dipstick forced/screwed all the way down, or with the rubber part at the top of the stick just resting on top of the dipstick hole? I can't find that answer anywhere in my operator or shop manual, but it must matter because the difference in the two positions is larger than the difference between the "add" and "full" mark on the stick itself. Maybe Kubota is just shy about discussing their dipstick?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Kubota's dipstick #3  
mine is just like a car, push dipstick all the way in.

/ Kubota's dipstick #4  
As long as it is showing fluid, I am good.

Always maintain the high level ... these machines are designed to have X amount of quarts of oil in them.

/ Kubota's dipstick #5  
I always do it all the way in. Its the way I was taught. Just like a screw on type, o rings or screw, do it all the way. Like the other poster, I keep it topped off as well.

/ Kubota's dipstick #6  
Not to derail the thread but the L3400 manual says 7.5 quarts with a filter change. I put exactly 7.5 quarts in, and the oil level is quite a bit above the top hole on the dipstick. There was no old oil left in it after the change...I left both drain bolts out for probably 30 minutes and drained the block completely.

So my issue is, the manual says 7.5Q for a oil + filter change, but the dipstick is saying it's got too much in it. And that's with the dipstick shoved all the way in while the engine is cold. Am I running it too full of oil or do I ignore the dipstick and go with the manual? My thought is that maybe the extra showing on the dipstick while the engine is cold is what will fill the oil filter when the engine is running....but on everything else I've ever used, the top hole is full when the engine is cold....

/ Kubota's dipstick #7  
All engines have pockets or valleys that hold oil when you are changing the oil out. You rarely get everything out that would allow you to just put in the exact amount specified. That's why most oil changes look a little dirty 1hr after being changed. Tractors seem to be more prone to hold oil.
Over filling means the crank is more likely to contact the oil and cause excessive splashing and aeration. Not good.
Go by the dipstick. Change filter/oil, run for 5 minutes, shut it off, wait 5 minutes, check dipstick and add as required.
If you over fill, drain some off by removing the filter and drain it and reinstall or temporarily removing the drain plug and let a little out. Recheck the dipstick after running for 5 minutes and shutting it off.
Then make a note of how much you did use, and the next time you should be right on the mark.

/ Kubota's dipstick #8  
OK...How do you measure the oil on your Kubota? With the dipstick forced/screwed all the way down, or with the rubber part at the top of the stick just resting on top of the dipstick hole? I can't find that answer anywhere in my operator or shop manual, but it must matter because the difference in the two positions is larger than the difference between the "add" and "full" mark on the stick itself. Maybe Kubota is just shy about discussing their dipstick?
rScotty

edit: Hgh tech ted- if the engine is cold and you did not fill the oil filter simply let it idle to attain its safe oil level-no worries.

If the oil an inch above the high oil mark when hot you need to drain a pint-no worries as the crank case vent relief tube is doing its job.

The dip stick has to be fully inserted and secured as the crankcase is vented and will have no vacuum release when the dip stick is pulled which would affect the oil level due to the change in crankcase pressure.

The whole thing still makes me wish they used the double basin dual dip sticks for the high/low sumps to this day rather than use one common sump.

If the oil filter is vertical you can fill it with oil to be sure it adds to the total volume with no worries about overfilling anyway.

/ Kubota's dipstick #9  
Not to derail the thread but the L3400 manual says 7.5 quarts with a filter change. I put exactly 7.5 quarts in, and the oil level is quite a bit above the top hole on the dipstick. There was no old oil left in it after the change...I left both drain bolts out for probably 30 minutes and drained the block completely.

So my issue is, the manual says 7.5Q for a oil + filter change, but the dipstick is saying it's got too much in it. And that's with the dipstick shoved all the way in while the engine is cold. Am I running it too full of oil or do I ignore the dipstick and go with the manual? My thought is that maybe the extra showing on the dipstick while the engine is cold is what will fill the oil filter when the engine is running....but on everything else I've ever used, the top hole is full when the engine is cold....

My L3400 manual calls (purchased new in 2008) for 6 quarts. I had the 50 hour service done at the dealer and noticed that it was above the high mark on the dipstick. I figured it was okay since the dealer performed the service, but after working the tractor shortly after the service, I noticed a bit of carbon build up on the loader. I cleaned the loader off and drained the oil to the high mark on the dipstick when the dip stick is fully inserted. Much less carbon build-up. The manual says black exhaust is result of too much oil. When I change the oil, I put in less than 6 quarts. I think I put in 5 1/2 maybe? When the tractor was delivered new its oil was in the middle of the dipstick range.

/ Kubota's dipstick #10  
My manual shows the information for both the L2800 and the L3400. The L2800 says 6.0 Quarts, the L3400 says 7.5Q (both with a filter change).

I'll check it at idle and see what it shows. I'm not really worried about it, just drain a little and move on...