Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley?

/ Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #1  

bloob

Tractor
Kubota BX1800
I need to rebuild my gearbox on my RCK60B-22BX. There's a good vid about it on Youtube, but in the vid he just slides his pulley right off and says "just shake it around" if necessary. That is not working for me. Have tried all kinds of shaking and tapping and banging with no luck. I applied a jaw puller with a significant amount of force with no result and didn't want to push it too far. What am I missing to get this thing off?

Attachments

• IMG_7502.jpg
    IMG_7502.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 117
   / Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley?
I thought of that and then forgot I thought of that. Will try. The pulley itself isn't locked though - it has some play up and down but then it hits something. Maybe the key is locked to the pulley but not the spindle.

Last edited:
   / Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #4  
If all else fails try heat. Just a little at a time. If you have one of those infared temp meters (looks like a pistol) you can slowly heat it watching the temperature. Little by little. Start off low, like 200deg F. I think what happens is that the heat breaks the corrosion. If there's some rubber or plastic stuff in there then this isn't a good idea.

/ Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #5  
Try the penetrating oil and tap it a bit with a hammer to loosen it up. Clean things well and look for a circlip or an e clip you may have overlooked.

/ Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #6  
Kubota is real good for using retaining clips where you don't think there is one...

/ Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #7  
looks like just a key, and maybe a tapered shaft

parts page

/ Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #8  
How far up and down does it go?

Last edited:
   / Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley? #9  
I do not have one of these, however, if you can get in on the other side, #270 looks like a circlip that could be removed allowing the shaft to drop out with the pulley. No real need to separate them. Could be totally wrong however..

A00401.png

/ Kubota mower deck gear box - can't remove pulley?
How far up and down does it go?
Maybe 1/2", but I was wrong about the pulley itself moving along the spindle. The movement is from inside the gearbox, the pulley and spindle move together. I have soaked it with PB and will keep fiddling with it.