Kubota M9540 brakes

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #11  
it is possible the linkages were adj too tight? or the operator's foot unknowingly depressing while operating? or abuse of previous owner?
btw think the M9000 was the top utility M series model prior to xx40 series. robust tractor. regards
I have 2 of them 02 and 04 btw. No issue with the brakes or anything else for that matter.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 100_0010 (1).JPG
    100_0010 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
   / Kubota M9540 brakes #12  
we're both fortunate to be pre Tier IV

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #13  
I'm even more fortunate to have mechanical brakes... And no clutch on either as well. Not that I'm hard on clutches but at some point replacement will be mandated.

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #14  
I'm even more fortunate to have mechanical brakes... And no clutch on either as well. Not that I'm hard on clutches but at some point replacement will be mandated.
meaning no dry single plate clutch, given our hyd shuttle wet pack. yes indeed

the hyd brakes on 8540 are outstanding, & imho the transmission lock parking brake is far safer than conventional ratchet, one of the reasons i stepped up from 7040 to the 85 since i dismount frequently on slopes, etc.
either way, M utility series is outstanding.
hope the OP will let us know on the current repair. best of luck to him

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #15  
My M9540 does not have any kind of manual lock to lock the brakes on like for an emergency brake. You use the pedals to stop the tractor and then take the shift lever for 1,2,3 and 4 out of gear and push the lever up to lock the transmission for parking. If there is something I have missed let me know where it’s located and how to engage. Thanks rl
Agreed. Same with my M9960.
Saw a message somewhere about Kubota brakes lasting the life of the tractor. I have an M9540 can tractor. Almost all work done is about hay. I had a little mishap. Rolled it over on its side. Blessed by God to come out without even a scratch. Won’t get into details. Bottom line of my post is that at the dealership they found that the brakes were completely shot. Looked at the hardware and the disks were almost clean off pass material, only a small amount on some and nothing but metal on others. The steel was warped. The tractor has 2900+ hours almost 3000. From other comments I Can’t understand how they were so worn. There is not a mechanical lock for this tractor. You put the transmission in “park” to let it sit. Would appreciate observations and insight from others out there in the trenches.
What oil are you using in the trans/hyd/dif?

/ Kubota M9540 brakes
Parts and labor was almost $4000. Not what I needed getting ready to start hay season. Enough expense coming up without that kind of problem.

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #17  
Did they offer an explanation of why the wet brakes would have been so worn other then riding the brakes?

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #18  
Did they offer an explanation of why the wet brakes would have been so worn other then riding the brakes?
Curious as well... Kubota wet brakes (whether hydraulically actuated or mechanically actuated), are pretty robust. 4 grand sounds like a lot of labor time to me.

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #19  
Most of the wet brakes that I am familiar with IH and NH are located inboard of the axle planetaries so that means pulling the axle housings off the rear end to get to them. When I last checked the prices on a NH the pistons seals were around a $100 each and the brake plates a few hundred but a lot of labor. Between propping up the cabs a bit pulling the wheels off then separating the axle housings.