Dirt Moving Kubota M7060 clutch functionality

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I’m new to fully hydraulic shuttles so wanted to understand how they work better. I understand the shuttle itself but I’m not completely sure about the clutch. So my question is that is it just like a conventional mechanical clutch with plates or disk etc? Or other?

Also, when I’m using the loader to move dirt etc I find it easier to engage firm into the pile then push down on the clutch while at the same time curling back the bucket helping to assure a full load. For the experienced users is this the proper technique? Does it cause more clutch wear than stopping with the shuttle instead? Just trying to figure out the best and most efficient way to drive the tractor. Again I’m new to fully hydraulic shuttles and also using loaders on tractors.

Thank you,

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #2  
Simply put. as hydraulic shuttle has no dry clutch at all. In place of the dry clutch is a splined damper plate to absorb the driveline shock from directional changes. The clutch is a wet, multi plate assembly.

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #3  
Copy above comment.
If it's a electric power reverser (every manufacturer uses different names), other than a mechanical lever, the clutch is activated the same way. No matter what you use.
Your clutch pedal has no mechanical connection to the clutch itself. It has an electric position meter attached that helps to feather the clutch.
Using the lever is like engaged or disengaged. Some tractors do have the option to adjust the aggressiveness through a dial.

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #4  
Kubota uses a hydraulically actuated proportioning valve, no electric involved. All mechanically actuated and stone simple. I have 2 of them. One has 6000+ meter hours on it and has never been adjusted for clamping pressure.

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #5  
Sawtooh -- I do not have the extent of experience of the two previous commentors but I do have many years experience operating small to large tractors with FELs. (Deere, Kubota and MF). My strong preference is to use the clutch pedal to remove forward force while you are curling the bucket, exactly as you describe. That feels to me like the way it was intended to be used. You build up habits and techniques that fit you and work well with your equipment but once you build confidence and comfort doing it a particular way I doubt there is any best way to do it.

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality
Ok great and thanks for everyone’s responses. I friend told me to use the shuttle not the clutch pedal as much as possible as it reduces the clutch wear. But trying to use the shuttle lever and manage the bucket at the same time was a challenge for me.

After putting a few hours on the tractor I came to realize the clutch pedal has no real mechanical feel of engagement which now makes sense as it actually doesn’t work that way. Thanks for the feedback guys.

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality
Kubota uses a hydraulically actuated proportioning valve, no electric involved. All mechanically actuated and stone simple. I have 2 of them. One has 6000+ meter hours on it and has never been adjusted for clamping pressure.

That’s impressive. What model tractor is it?

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #8  
i try to come to full stop or close before engaging fw/rev shuttle control. btw my manual shuttle lever is adjustable in fw/rev as it is cable driven & in time can stretch slightly.

/ Kubota M7060 clutch functionality #9  
I friend told me to use the shuttle not the clutch pedal as much as possible as it reduces the clutch wear.
There is NO clutch wear because there is NO clutch. It's a multiplate wet pack just like in a motorcycle. Myself, I USE BOTH, depending on what I'm doing. 6000+ hours and no adjustment tells me it's fine and I farm with both of mine.