Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #1  

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
Kubota M62, Kubota L3240D HST (SOLD!), Kubota RTV900
Here's a post about how not to add top'n'tilt cylinders to a Kubota M62 TLB, and also about a set of spools that will fit right (there's a hint there). I took delivery of an M62 last summer, used the hoe for a couple of weeks for some trenching, then pulled it off. The tractor didn't come with a 3 point hitch (3PH), but I'd planned on adding one, along with top'n'tilt (TNT) cylinders and spools, even before the purchase. I also wanted a thumb for the backhoe, and since the local Kubota dealer wouldn't budge off retail on the price of a new tractor, I figured I'd go across the state line for the hydraulics and at least save some sales tax. I found a used 12" trenching bucket at Hunt Tractor Equipment & Parts, Inc., in Medford OR, a business specializing in all sorts of new and used implements and parts. While I was there picking that up, I stopped by Central Equipment, the Medford Kubota dealer, and met George LaRoo, their head salesman. I explained what I wanted to do, and he showed me a pair of M62s sitting on his lot so I could get a better idea of what was involved. It didn't seem like too much work, so I asked him to put together a quote. A day or so later I placed the order with him, and a few weeks after that I went back up there to pick up the parts. Everything except the spools necessary for the TNT, that is, as they seemed to be on back order. George said he'd cover shipping on the spools when they came in, and not to worry about it.

3PHkitContents.jpg

The first kit, Kubota part number L3951, came with everything needed to get the 3PH going on the M62.

topNtiltStart.jpg

The back of the tractor was pretty bare at the start; it didn't even have the brackets for the top link. So I started with the brackets, then followed the instruction step-by-step until I had everything on. I think it took me a couple of hours, working slowly and trying various positions for some of the parts like the lifting arms, as the photos on the instruction sheet were small and not too informative.

3PHInstalled.jpg

The hitch is a CAT 2, and I was impressed with the size and heft of the pieces. I'd bent the lifting arms on the CAT 1 hitch on the old Kubota trying to grade in reverse, and this CAT 2 setup looked more up to the job.

A few weeks later, the spools showed up, and I got started on the installation of the top'n'tilt kit, Kubota part number TL9407A, and spool kit part number L3995A. The first thing I noticed was the daunting number of hoses, adapter fittings, and sundry pieces in these two kits. Each came with a set of installation instructions, which overlapped in several areas, which added complication to the installation. And the same tiny and less than helpful photos were present as well. It took a phone call or two to one of George's mechanics to get everything right, over the course of the next couple days.

topNtiltRear.jpg

The kits came with hoses that allowed tapping into the tractor hydraulics to feed the TNT spools and rear hydraulic quick connects, and the line drawings in the instructions were also a bit vague about just which fittings got replaced. They showed close ups of the parts, but gave no clue where they were located on the tractor. I'm sure a factory trained Kubota mechanic would have had no problem. Right. But through some trial and error and bulldog determination, I got 'er done. Hooked up the box blade to give it a try, and oh boy was it nice to be able to make those adjustments on the fly. No more hopping up and down out of the seat to get the tilt just right or go from back dragging the blade to cutting. What a dream come true!

Didn't take long to bust the bubble on that dream, though. I had a fair amount of tilt dialed in at the end of one day and slowly lowered the box blade when I shut down the tractor. All of a sudden I heard a bang and felt a shudder through the floor. When I looked back over the seat, this is what I saw:

topNtiltBusted.jpg

Somehow the eye of the top cylinder got over loaded, stretched, and broke. Looking at the cross section of the eye is was no wonder. It was a small fraction of the original eye, and no way was it going to survive normal service. Rather than bother George for a replacement cylinder, which would just end up breaking again, I picked up a new eye at Tractor Supply and welded it on. Problem solved.

At least that problem was solved. I had a lot of gravel to spread as the next job, and it didn't take long to figure out that the TNT spools weren't holding the positions of the cylinders they controlled. I was using the box blade for rear ballast, and after only fifteen minutes the tilt cylinder was going to full extension. I found that out when the box started dragging one side unexpectedly. What should have been a straightforward job of shuttling and spreading gravel had my right hand riding the TNT controls to keep the box up off the ground. I wasn't sure how long it was taking, so I sat up a camera and made a video:

I tested all three spools, and also ran a test with the cylinders disconnected from the spools. One of the valves went through all of its cylinder's stroke in only fifteen minutes. and the cylinders didn't budge at all when they were disconnected from the spools. After watching the video, George and his mechanic ordered a set of spools to replace the leaking one. That took another few weeks to come in, but when it did, the problem was even worse. One of the spools only took five minutes to leak down.

Sure enough, I was able to find a thread here on TBN, a few in fact, where other Kubota owners were having the same issues. And most of them got relief in the form of a new set of spools from Brian at Fit Rite Hydraulics. It only took a short conversation to confirm with Brian that he could supply a set of replacement spools; the only thing he was unsure about was how they would mount. I wasn't too worried about that, so I went ahead and ordered a set. A follow up call with George had him quickly agreeing that Kubota had had more than a fair chance at fixing the problem, and he agreed to issue a refund for the valve kit. To keep things simple, he asked only for the return of the spools, leaving me with the six hoses and adapters.

I shot a few photos of the Kubota hose ends and adapters to Brian, and when the Fit Rite spools showed up three weeks later, I was delighted to find that all the Kubota hydraulic parts mated right up.

topNtiltFitRite.jpg

I was also happy that I had to drill only one hole in the tractor to mount the spools. The plastic panel through which the spool handles fit was a different story, though, but a few minutes on the band saw took care of that problem. I've had the new spools working for a few months now, and they will also eventually leak down, but it's a matter of hours instead of minutes. Thanks to Brian at Fit Rite, I'm back to livin' the dream...(y)

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #2  
That's sure a nice write up. I'm glad you mentioned how heavy those category II parts are - particularly the 3pt arms. That first photo shows all the parts, but nothing prepared me for just how heavy the pieces are. There's a series of half-hidden hooks under the mounting step on the left side where the 3pt equipment is supposedly able to be stored when not in use. But I wonder if anyone ever does that. Kind of hard to get to.

How long do you think it will take to change from the 3pt to the backhoe and vice versa?
rScotty

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #3  
So the end result is go with Fit Rite instead of Kubota for a Top N Tilt kit?

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations
That's sure a nice write up. I'm glad you mentioned how heavy those category II parts are - particularly the 3pt arms. That first photo shows all the parts, but nothing prepared me for just how heavy the pieces are. There's a series of half-hidden hooks under the mounting step on the left side where the 3pt equipment is supposedly able to be stored when not in use. But I wonder if anyone ever does that. Kind of hard to get to.

How long do you think it will take to change from the 3pt to the backhoe and vice versa?
rScotty
Thanks for the kind words.

The top'n'tilt cylinders'll have to come off along with the 3PH lifting arms, so I don't see much point in trying to store the arms on the tractor. Not sure what to do with that hardware, but I'm leaning toward a three tier cart with balloon type tires I can just wheel into a storage container once the backhoe is back on.

I haven't crossed the backhoe remount bridge yet, and I do wonder if the spool location might interfere with the backhoe floor. Might take a little more surgery to fix that...

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #5  

How long do you think it will take to change from the 3pt to the backhoe?
I have those 3pt. parts storage mounting pins under the step of my L48 TLB also.
I can't imagine anyone using that storage location.
I doubt that I will ever use my 3pt. hitch on the L48 anyway.
My little 32HP Ford can do any pulling I might need.

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #6  
Thanks for sharing. Had 84.4tons of driveway gravel delivered today so thinking topNtilt would have been be nice. Thru the winding wooded driveway the dump truck can only leave piles to spread in some spots. Land plane requires less adjustment than a yardbox thankfully.

Thinking the remote spool block could be simply plugged into the swing backhoe port and common return. Would require correct existing valve settings under the seat on the M59. An operator clearly written operating warning label would be helpful with this arrangement for both the tractor and operator’s manual. Currently don’t see a need to use both the remotes and backhoe together. Already plumbed for 3rd function and backhoe thumb. Your experience with the spool valves shows the importance of valve selection. Operations like mowing you want to set and forget for hours.

Modified a set of pin sway bars to replace the turnbuckles. Helps to position the Pat’s quick hitches for easier 3pt hook ups with heavier equipment. Setting the land plan to right, center or left is quick. Same for the mower.

Dealing with the weight of the three point arms when changing out is the most challenging. I leave the operator arm and lift arms attached together. The operator arm gets pinned first then helps support the lift arm pin placement. Keep all pins lubed with corrosionX and use only finger pressure or the lightest hammer taps for R&R.

Find the R&R of the M59 backhoe a little easier than with the B26. Quickest is 5 minutes. Most time 10-15 minutes. Some of the firsts were an hour. I do a technique not manufacturer recommended. I set the parking brake lightly so the tractor can’t roll on it’s own. To inch the tractor back or forward I’m standing off the tractor using my hand on the HST pedal. That way I can go back and forth checking alignment and make steering wheel adjustments. Slow, gentle alignment. The pedal safety switch will allow small adjustments before shutting off the tractor. Do the same for 3pt equipment. There are lots of variables and awareness to consider utilizing this technique safely. There are people and places this technique would never be safe.

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations
Initially I was disappointed Kubota used turnbuckles on the M62 3PH,, but after using them for a while I've come to appreciate their rigidity and strength. I also broke one of the pinned sway bars on the old tractor; the holes weakened them too much.

Good to hear of the quick change times on your 'hoe. I'm gonna need more practice before I get anywhere close to that. The M62 has a creep feature, but there's a safety lockout on it so it doesn't work unless you're sitting in the seat. While I was shopping, I looked at a Deere with a similar feature that was placed near the rear remotes and did work while you were standing next to it. But you're right: Some people should never be allowed near such a convenience.

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #8  
Thanks for taking the time to post this! come to find out there is little to no info pertaining to this matter on the net. I'm looking/ about to purchase an m59 and the one I'm close to getting doesn't come with a 3pt hitch. I can find down parts/ individually but even when I google the l3951 part number you reference there seems to be no "kit" that has what your first picture shows. Would you happen to have a link to where I can get that kit? Would I be right to assume it was over $1k in cost? Thank you again for your time and regardless Semper Fi

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #9  
The L3951 3pt kit is a wholegoods part number. Have to get sales staff involved to order those parts.

Parts counter guys at dealers or online like Messicks see parts breakdowns of all the individual parts. Expensive $$$ way to go. Sales people see the Wholegood options and prices.

Search “Wholegoods Kubota M59” will find lists usually from state governments.

Kansas 2015 Kubota Wholegoods M59 list has the L3951 3pt kit for $754. Have bought options at or slightly more from this dated price list.

Both at my local dealer and online at Messicks (called) had to get sales staff involved to order parts off the Kubota Wholegoods price sheets.

If you are not in an extreme hurry Kubota dealers regularly order from Wholegoods and can ship with their orders at low or no extra cost. Worth asking about.

Wholegoods list will show all factory options, buckets, for your model. For my M59 and B26 have bought 3rd function kits, bonnet protector, bucket hanger ears.

/ Kubota M62 Three Point Hitch Install With Top'n'Tilt Tribulations #10  
bonnet protector, bucket hanger ears.
I'm on my second bonnet protector. Be careful when pressure washing the engine and under the hood, the don't like pressure washing. I bought 2 of them, think they were 80 per. I need to replace the one on my open station as well but I'm too lazy to remove the hoods. and at some point I'll remove the muffler and bend up a straight pipe. The turbo will quiet it down enough. On my M's the muffler mounts on top of the engine on the cab tractor and exits up through the hood. On the open station, I have to optional down pipe. It exits right in front of the operators platform. Keep in mind that both mine are pre 4 units so the post 4 units are probably different. I plotted and cut 4 new parallel links for my OS bucket, I wore one set out. Machined a new set of pins and pressed in greaseable bronze bushings to replace the steel on steel that Kubota has. My dealer was kind enough to supply a print of the linkage arms and necessary dimensions. When I bought my M's I bought one with 2 buckets, the light gauge material bucket and the much heavier excavation bucket, which I need for my hay spear. The pother I just ordered with the heavy duty bucket and both are SSQA though one has an ATI mount and the other is the Kubota OEM mount.

The ATI is much heavier in build than the OEM,

Last edited: