Kubota loader options

/ Kubota loader options #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
Going thru the "this vs that" for a tractor upgrade - possibly. While larger machine in general has some advantages to me, I think loader capability is going to be much higher on the list than most everything else. Some of what i do is maintaining 8' tall shooting berms that I fill from behind so reach height and dump clearance are important specs. What I have now with my LS for max height/dump clearance/weight at pins:

85.7"/65"/1270 lbs

Overall have pretty much settled on L3901, HST, ind tires, and SSQA bucket is the right machine for me. I'd like more, but for specs vs budget, that's where I land. Also compared LS XR4140H but loader heights quickly ruled it out at 96.3"/63"/2713 lbs. Losing dump clearance height doesn't work for me. Have not looked at specs for all other competing brands...familiar with LS and Kubota so may be something else out there that works that I haven't researched.

Anyway, sticking point on the L3901 is the LA525 loader it gets paired with. 94.3"/76.2"/1131 lbs is an increase in overall bucket height and almost a foot more dump clearance - both would be improvements. But I struggle now with lift capacity & breakout force on a 50" bucket rated 1270 lbs at the pins, so the 1131 lbs # is scaring me. And spending more $$$ on a machine and still working around a bucket that doesn't go high enough doesn't make sense either.

I haven't gotten a quote for a 4701 yet. It gets paired with the larger LA765 loader but is otherwise overkill. I assume since the frame changes there it's a little more significant price bump than the $1800 to go from L3301 to L3901? Can I just get an L3901 with the LA765 loader? or will that only fit on the larger frame? Grand L, MX more than I'm willing to spend....by a lot.

Excuse poor drawing, but this is what i do and why dump clearance matters to me:
tractor.jpg

/ Kubota loader options #2  
Are you loading dump trucks? Sounds to me like you need a bigger machine like an L47 or M62

/ Kubota loader options #3  
Going thru the "this vs that" for a tractor upgrade - possibly. While larger machine in general has some advantages to me, I think loader capability is going to be much higher on the list than most everything else.

I haven't gotten a quote for a 4701 yet. It gets paired with the larger LA765 loader but is otherwise overkill. I assume since the frame changes there it's a little more significant price bump than the $1800 to go from L3301 to L3901? Grand L, MX more than I'm willing to spend....by a lot.

An MX is only a few hundred dollars above a L4701. You get LA1065 FEL on MX and much larger wheels, especially larger in front.

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Build My Kubota

/ Kubota loader options #4  
The LA525 is the only loader option for the L2501-3901, only models I know of that had multiple loader options are the Grand L.

/ Kubota loader options #7  
Going thru the "this vs that" for a tractor upgrade - possibly. While larger machine in general has some advantages to me, I think loader capability is going to be much higher on the list than most everything else. Some of what i do is maintaining 8' tall shooting berms that I fill from behind so reach height and dump clearance are important specs. What I have now with my LS for max height/dump clearance/weight at pins:

85.7"/65"/1270 lbs

Overall have pretty much settled on L3901, HST, ind tires, and SSQA bucket is the right machine for me. I'd like more, but for specs vs budget, that's where I land. Also compared LS XR4140H but loader heights quickly ruled it out at 96.3"/63"/2713 lbs. Losing dump clearance height doesn't work for me. Have not looked at specs for all other competing brands...familiar with LS and Kubota so may be something else out there that works that I haven't researched.

Anyway, sticking point on the L3901 is the LA525 loader it gets paired with. 94.3"/76.2"/1131 lbs is an increase in overall bucket height and almost a foot more dump clearance - both would be improvements. But I struggle now with lift capacity & breakout force on a 50" bucket rated 1270 lbs at the pins, so the 1131 lbs # is scaring me. And spending more $$$ on a machine and still working around a bucket that doesn't go high enough doesn't make sense either.

I haven't gotten a quote for a 4701 yet. It gets paired with the larger LA765 loader but is otherwise overkill. I assume since the frame changes there it's a little more significant price bump than the $1800 to go from L3301 to L3901? Can I just get an L3901 with the LA765 loader? or will that only fit on the larger frame? Grand L, MX more than I'm willing to spend....by a lot.

Excuse poor drawing, but this is what i do and why dump clearance matters to me:
View attachment 549314
Let me summarize for my thought process:
You've got an 8' (96 inch) clearance needed.
You've got an 85" lift presently (a foot short)
You "struggle" with a 1270 lb lift capacity.

From a review of the L4701
Our test tractor was outfitted with a LA765 loader, which is rated to lift 1684 lbs to a 105.2 lift height. Dump clearance is 81.2?

From Kubota's web site:
A very basic L3901 goes for about $26.7K
A very basic L4701 goes for about $32.2K
So the price bump before any discount is about $6K.

It seems to me that if you've been able to get by with what you have an "upgrade" to the L3901 would still not give you what you need and I'm pretty sure you couldn't put the LA765 on the L4701 easily.

Go with the L4701 if you can afford it.

As an aside - How sure are you that your lift capacity is 1270 lb? Have you tested your hydraulics? Many Kubota's have been found to be significantly below spec and a few shims or turn of a screw significantly increased lift capacity. My B7610 is about 10% low. You might be able to turn a screw and increase your lift capacity.
That's not as nice as a new $30K tractor, but a lot cheaper.

/ Kubota loader options
Just filling those berms a few times per year....bullet strikes tend to loosen up the dirt :) No dump truck to load.

I work around now by (1) renting a large backhoe - super easy with 1.25+ cu yd bucket, unlimited lift strength, real high clearance or (2) gravel/dirt inclines behind the berms to climb up and get some elevation.

I've heard a zillion times dump clearance doesn't matter - clear the obstacle then dump over it. Problem is, I need the bucket lip right at the "wall" so the material is as far back as possible. Otherwise more just wants to run down and off the berm. I very much dislike topping off my berms by climbing an incline behind them. I feel very unsafe/awkward climbing with full bucket at max height. Although I absolutely creep doing it & haven't felt like I was just about to tip sideways, it doesn't feel "right", and I think any give out or slipping on the incline would be a wreck.

Even if the MX were only $1 more than L4701, I think 3901 to 4701 jump is around $6k. L3901 quotes is right at what I'm willing to spend. To spend any more, it makes more sense for me to let larger projects and tasks pile up then just rent a backhoe from Hertz (Herc?) 1-2 times per year and knock them all out over a long weekend. Expensive and inconvenient letting stuff pile up waiting on a machine, but $6, $7, $8k or more is a LOT of BH rentals...

So any $ into tractor upgrade definitely means no more rentals. Kind of why I figured L3901 > L3301 for $1800 more...15% more HP might be able to muscle a little more. Won't do the earth moving like a 90HP, 8 ton backhoe, but probably a lot more than my current 25HP, 1600 lbs machine. Most of my larger earth moving projects are done - or done enough that they just need finished/graded/smoothed.

This is what back of the smaller berm looks like:
20180218_132520x.jpg

/ Kubota loader options
Have you looked at High Dump Bucket? I think the weight might be a problem unless you find someone that makes a lightweight one. They increase your dump height by about 3 feet.

X-treme Skid Steer High Dump Bucket - By CID Attachment

Never saw one. Very interesting. @ 72" for smaller one listed there probably too big for what I have now, but could be a great option for larger machine. Still dig, back blade, and general material movement with that? Would need 3rd function remote?

I really like the +3' clearance!!!

/ Kubota loader options
As an aside - How sure are you that your lift capacity is 1270 lb? Have you tested your hydraulics? Many Kubota's have been found to be significantly below spec and a few shims or turn of a screw significantly increased lift capacity. My B7610 is about 10% low. You might be able to turn a screw and increase your lift capacity.
That's not as nice as a new $30K tractor, but a lot cheaper.

I don't think it is. I adjusted relief set screw a little and made an improvement. Had at dealer and asked them to check because loader still did not feel strong enough and really struggled with some IBC totes with ~60 gal water or cinder blocks in bucket. Just pushing bucket down it seems all it can do just to lift front wheels off ground. But dealer looked at it twice and said it's right....

But just lbs I can lift...not a big deal for the berms. I can take a full bucket of loose dirt and lift it to max height, so strong enough for that. Where the LA525 spec concerned me is lower capacity at pins/ground level but larger bucket. I know spec sheet comparisons aren't a wonderful analysis tool...marketing guys probably write them so brand A vs Brand B spec sheets might not be apples to apples... For all I know the LA525 can easily take a heaping scoop of Carolina red clay fill dirt and lift to max height with no fuss...