Kubota L4600DT starting issue

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #1  

tammyemond

Tractor
Kubota L4600DT-0\
I have a Kubota L4600DT sometimes it starts and sometimes it does nothing, no clicking, no gauges, nothing. When it does start sometimes it runs just fine and sometimes it dies shortly after starting. WE thought it was the ignition switch so we replaced that and it started a few times and now nothing again. Seat safety switch is tied down. Battery is good, starts right up when it does start. This is our livelihood so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #2  
Check all your electrical connections and make sure your cables
are not corroded inside. Check to see if you have good fuel flow

willy

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #3  
I agree with Willy but I'd go a bit deeper. Remove the connectors from the battery and clean connectors and battery terminals thoroughly. Inspect connector ends for signs of corrosion. This can extend under the insulation. Replace cables on battery and tighten securely. If you can move them at all they're not tight. Follow the ground lead to the frame. Clean, inspect, and tighten. After all this is done we can talk about troubleshooting.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue
I agree with Willy but I'd go a bit deeper. Remove the connectors from the battery and clean connectors and battery terminals thoroughly. Inspect connector ends for signs of corrosion. This can extend under the insulation. Replace cables on battery and tighten securely. If you can move them at all they're not tight. Follow the ground lead to the frame. Clean, inspect, and tighten. After all this is done we can talk about troubleshooting.
We cleaned all the battery connections and the ground. We think it's the neutral switch. We have it jumped for now and it seems to be working but, since the problem is sporadic we aren't sure if that's the problem or not. I know a bad neutral switch would keep the engine from starting, but would it keep the gauges from working? We had thought it was the ignition switch because power wasn't going to the gauges. The same day I ordered the switch the tractor started and ran fine for 4 days with no issues, then day 5 it wouldn't start again. Received and installed switch and started a few times then nothing again. I'll order a neutral switch, but we can't afford to just keep ordering parts without knowing if it is the actual issue.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #5  
I will pull a parts diagram and look at the safety switches. You got the seat and the Neutral switch so, good start at fix but I bet there is another switch or two that could be your issue.

I am assuming it isn't a fuel problem because it sounds like the dash gauges are out as well when this happens.

I would chase the wires from the dash looking for a wiring rub or a mouse nibble on the insulation. You could have an intermittent short due to a wiring insulation issue.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #6  
There may be seat and PTO switches as well. Try cleaning the connectors for the safety switches. Pull them off and put them on again. You could even use a bit of contact cleaner from a spray can then work the connectors off and on a couple times. Sometimes it's the way a connector is crimped onto the wire - some conductors may be broken and only making intermittent contact. Your problem may not be in the switch itself. I really hate intermittent electrical problems. They're always the worst to cure.

There may be seat and PTO switches as well. Try cleaning the connectors for the safety switches. Pull them off and put them on again. You could even use a bit of contact cleaner from a spray can then work the connectors off and on a couple times. Sometimes it's the way a connector is crimped onto the wire - some conductors may be broken and only making intermittent contact. Your problem may not be in the switch itself. I really hate intermittent electrical problems. They're always the worst to cure.
I've looked at the parts diagram and can only find the seat and neutral safety switches. The seat switch has been tied down for years because my husband is light and every time he turned around while backing the tractor would want to shut down. I hate intermittent problems too. Don't know if the replaced part fixed the problem or if it's just intermittently working. I had a truck once that wouldn't start in the morning, by the time I got it to the shop they couldn't find anything wrong. I finally told them to keep it over night and try first thing in the morning. It was a cracked distributor cap, it would draw moisture at night and dry out during the day.

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #8  
I had a small dodge pickup and took it in to the dodge shop to
get it to run smoothly again. Mech could not find the problem
as the points were burnt up. The spark plug wires had so much
resistance the the juice wasn't leaving the distributor so burnt the
points. Should have just done the job myself!
It was under warranty so didn't want to stop that

willy

I will pull a parts diagram and look at the safety switches. You got the seat and the Neutral switch so, good start at fix but I bet there is another switch or two that could be your issue.

I am assuming it isn't a fuel problem because it sounds like the dash gauges are out as well when this happens.

I would chase the wires from the dash looking for a wiring rub or a mouse nibble on the insulation. You could have an intermittent short due to a wiring insulation issue.
I looked at the parts diagram and can only find a seat and neutral switch. We replaced the neutral switch and it's running again. I still don't know for sure if that was the problem. Would a neutral switch keep power from going to the gauges?

/ Kubota L4600DT starting issue #10  
I looked at the parts diagram and can only find a seat and neutral switch. We replaced the neutral switch and it's running again. I still don't know for sure if that was the problem. Would a neutral switch keep power from going to the gauges?
Netural switch is only in the starter circuit along with starter and main key switch circuit. It does not feed gauges.