Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning?

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #12  
I really don't understand why Kubota sells the 3301 and the 3901. Essentially the same tractor. Front end loader is the same. PTO difference is negligible in my opinion. Just cost more. I think they should just do away with one of those models.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #13  
I really don't understand why Kubota sells the 3301 and the 3901. Essentially the same tractor. Front end loader is the same. PTO difference is negligible in my opinion. Just cost more. I think they should just do away with one of those models.

They offer the 3301 because competitors offer one as well. It has nothing to do with horsepower necessarily, it’s a marketing strategy.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #14  
They offer the 3301 because competitors offer one as well. It has nothing to do with horsepower necessarily, it’s a marketing strategy.
Yup. It also means they can get a premium price for the bigger HP model with very little extra cost.

Human nature often pulls you towards the middle or high end model. So by making several they can bias people towards a more expensive option even if they dont always need it.

Marketing & sales make business go round.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #16  
The purpose of the three same sized L series models is primarily for market segmentation which allows them to capture more consumer surplus/economic profits. While I would not pay for a 3901, I would pay for a 3301. Someone else values the tractor more than me and is willing to pay the 3901. If they only served up the 3901, they'd lose a sale. If they only offered up the 3301, they'd make less profit on the sale to the guy who would have paid for the 3901. Economics 101.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #17  
Even if that is the case... you ate set to save, what? $300? At what expense though? I would imagine your warranty will be gone instantly.

Have a very hard time seeing where anyone would look to purchase your used ECM.
I’m looking to purchase that ecm, if you made the decision to do that

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #18  
I’m not sure purchasing an ECM will suffice. Generally these ECMs come without program and need to be flashed. They replaced the ECM, and flashed software into my M135GX because of my complaint of abrupt shifting. Turns out it was me, not the tractor. I was used to driving my cousin’s John Deere’s with Power Quad which have a slower clutch engagement with each power shift. In my case a new ECM came without software so the proper software could be flashed on installation. That way one ECM for M100GX, M110GX, M125GX and M135GX.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #19  
Our dealer sells almost no 3301 models it’s just a price point model no other reason for it

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #20  
When I doubt get the higher horse power. I have a 3901!, I upgraded from an 2800 I rarely put the 3901 to is max but when I tax it I remember why I got it. If your not using the pto you’ll probably be able to get away the lesser machine I was cutting 7 foot brush today and was glad to have the ponies behind it. I could not have cut that field with my old machine