Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning?

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #1  

supermegaultrachimp

Tractor
Oliver S55
I've been looking at L3301 vs L3901. Dealer is giving me a ~$2500 difference between the models. As far as I can tell from specs and driving them both on the lot, the only difference at all between the two machines is ECU tuning.

I even pulled up the parts diagrams for both machines for the injection system/ecu and it seems like the only difference is ECU P/N.

Can you guys confirm this is correct? Is there any precedent for someone purchasing a new ECU for a 3901 ($2200) and then selling the ECU off their 3301? Or, just reprogramming the ECU somehow?

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #2  
Even if that is the case... you ate set to save, what? $300? At what expense though? I would imagine your warranty will be gone instantly.

Have a very hard time seeing where anyone would look to purchase your used ECM.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #3  
Are you looking at HST or geared? The geared 3901 has a live PTO, whereas the 3301 doesn't. That's a moot point on the HST though.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #4  
The price difference may be due to how Kubota does transfers between divisions. Kubota tractors buys an engine from Kubota engines. The 3 large companies with whom I worked used a price per horsepower scale for this transfer and as the end product plant, that transfer price went into the machine cost which then determined the sale price. As an example for Tiers 2 and 3 our 150 hp and 174 hp engines were identical except for the software flashed into the ECU. Our plant paid a higher transfer price. In our case the engine cost was hidden in the higher cost of other components. Engine division used part of their reasoning being higher warranty cost but that was not justified. Design life to overhaul was 10 times warranty hours. Random failures warranty is designed to cover were no different. I would anticipate Kubota designs their power train for these similar tractors to be warranty free, except for random problems such as material flaws, manufacturing errors, for the expected warranty period for a high use tractor.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning?
Are you looking at HST or geared? The geared 3901 has a live PTO, whereas the 3301 doesn't. That's a moot point on the HST though.

I'm looking at the HST product. Agreed, looks differed for geared.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning?
Even if that is the case... you ate set to save, what? $300? At what expense though? I would imagine your warranty will be gone instantly.

Have a very hard time seeing where anyone would look to purchase your used ECM.

Very fair point. The market for ECUs for tractors under warranty is probably a bit weak. I probably would just wait a few years until my full warranty is expired and I had more cash and buy the new ECU and drop it in. Just like that...20% more tractor. So this means I could buy the higher end tractor whenever I want.

Does anyone know if anything about ECU programming on these units that would prevent a simple drop-in?

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #7  
Personally I would just buy the 3901 & be done w/ it (that's why I went MX5800 instead of MX5200) but if you're that hard up for cash just get the 3301 then... Doesn't seem worth swapping ECUs to save a few bucks.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #8  
there's not much the 3901 can do that the 3301 can't.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #9  
there's not much the 3901 can do that the 3301 can't.
The only difference is how fast you can do it. The only failing could be PTO work. You couldn't run a generator at load that required more power & you might not be able to run a chopper with some bigger wood.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3901 - Is it just ECU tuning? #10  
I have a 3901 and like others have stated there won't be much difference is what it can do over a 3301 with the exception of PTO powered attachments.

I chip a lot of wood, and my tractor at times uses every bit of HP when chipping bigger branches. In fact, every now and again I'll stall the tractor. Having anything less in regards to HP would be a real bummer...