Kubota L235 engine repair

/ Kubota L235 engine repair #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I have an L235 (about 38 years old) and it's developed a leak that seems to be from the crankshaft grease seal. Got the grease seal replaced and did some more cleaning to remove the old grease & grime that collected from the leak. Oops! That grease had actually plugged a hole in the gear box. The hole is from corrosion and is very ragged and does not seem to be practical to try to repair the hole, so it looks like a gearbox cover replacement is called for. The hole is just under the crankshaft pulley.

My search for a cover has turned up several (including Messick's) companies that either have or can get the part. What my options look like are 1) a used cover for ~$145 or
2) a new cover for ~$450.

So, I'm wondering what kind of condition is a used cover in? and how long will it last? I do I make sure it is "good enough?" and just what is "good enough"? If I get a new cover, then it's a 38 year old tractor, what else is going to break next? Is it really worth spending the money for a new one? Are there any other options? (pulling the cover off and welding in a patch is not a viable option)

Engine dismantling.jpg

/ Kubota L235 engine repair #2  
Used does not bother me as long as I can see it in person or get good pictures. I believe that is the Route I would take.

/ Kubota L235 engine repair #3  
How much was it leaking per hour of use?
Does it leak when not used?
How much more use do you need to get out of it and when?
Are you doing the work (and ho much is your time worth) or paying a shop $200/hour?

I've a 1995 M4700 that just started a leak from a boom cylinder. A few drops came out when the bucket was raised and it was hot, but doesn't seem to leak when parked.
A few years ago a different cylinder leaked but was spraying a "fair amount" (maybe a pint an hour) and that got fixed relatively fast.
I had a 1966 Valiant slant 6 that got about 200 miles to a gallon of oil, 40W, but oil was cheap.

I'd try the used if I could inspect it first and was doing my own work.