Kubota L1501

/ Kubota L1501 #1  

mjhahler

Tractor
Zen-noh L1501DT
I have had trouble with my L1501 pushing water out the overflow. I am concerned about it overheating but of course don't know what temp it is operating at with no block access for a probe and guage. I found out that this apparently does not have a thermostat so I have flushed the radiator and block, put on a new radiator cap and now wonder if it is the water pump. How can I determine this without pulling the pump?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mjhahler on 04/30/01 11:46 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Kubota L1501 #2  
I have an L1500. I am not sure if the L1501 is the same, but my tractor does not have a thermostat or a water pump. It uses "thermo-syphon" like the old John Deere two cylinders did. If the radiator is too full, the coolant will go out through the overflow, which has a whistle on the end of the tube. If you can hear it whistle, there is steam coming out instead of coolant. If liquid coolant is coming out, everything is OK, because the coolant level is supposed to be to the level of the return hose at the top of the radiator. Be sure to regularly clean the radiator, dirt can easily clog the fins.

I would recommend getting Shop Manual K-1 from Intertec, available from Amazon, Tractor Supply Co. and others. The manual covers the L175 which is the U.S. equivalent of the L1500. It does a good job of explaining a lot of the electrical and mechanical idiosyncracies of these little tractors.

/ Kubota L1501 #3  
Yes thats good advice. The L1500 and L1501 has the same engine. Neither uses a water pump and they rely on thermosyphoning for circulation of coolant (much like some vinrtage cars I'm told).

The normal coolant level is about half way up the radiator top tank. They will find their own level as they heat up and push excess water out the overflow.

If water continues to flow out, it indicates a problem. That may be a blown headgasket allowing combustion pressure to reach the coolant, pushing it out the top. Also they are a bit prove to cracking a cylinder head,usually after they have been overheated.

We have never been successful with repairing such cracks and we usually replace the whole head casting (not cheap)
if we find this failure.

Please note its very important with these systems to make sure the cooling system is in good condition. Ensure that any grass or dust is not allowed to accumulate on the radiator core, which would cause overheating. There is a fine screen in front of the radiator , but also make sure that the core itself is clean. Wash it out or blow it with air. Slashing(bush-hogging) causes masses of grass particles to fly everywhere and much of it ends up in the radiator core.Buildup is evident after only a short time.... so keep it clean.

Good luck

/ Kubota L1501 #4  
My L1501 pushes water out when it is full, but yes, finds a level where it is happy and stays there.

I have taken the whistle off and blown into it but no whistling??

I only hope it works when needed !!!

Neil R.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by njrqs on 09/27/01 05:11 PM (server time).</FONT></P>