Kubota Backhoe

/ Kubota Backhoe #11  
Kubota is usually better on little things like this. Maybe it was the design engineer's first job. Or maybe K hired the engineer who designed the oil filter placement on some GM cars...
The difference may be that the backhoe is US made and the tractor Japan. So sad, if that's the case.

/ Kubota Backhoe #12  
The difference may be that the backhoe is US made and the tractor Japan. So sad, if that's the case.

Think all the Kubota loaders and backhoes are made in the USA. Canada does the same for its’ Kubota imports. All still made by Kubota. Global company.

Not sure if the OP’s problem was caused by human error or manufacturing flaw.

/ Kubota Backhoe #14  
Wow, how did you even get that first picture? I would have seen that right off, but then again I attach and remove my backhoe every spring and every fall, so I put that pin in and take it out frequently. And it is pretty obvious to me where that retainer part goes. And yes, the upper hole shouldn’t even exist! Very lucky that it did not result in a serious injury.

/ Kubota Backhoe #15  
Yeh, that just seems so stupid to put an upper hole there, like WHY?!!! Yes, common sense dictates using that hole for the pin means it will fall back out with gravity...but if you're fumbling around or distracted, whatever, crap happens.

/ Kubota Backhoe #16  
Think all the Kubota loaders and backhoes are made in the USA. Canada does the same for its’ Kubota imports. All still made by Kubota. Global company.

Not sure if the OP’s problem was caused by human error or manufacturing flaw.
IMHO it's a design error on that model BH leading to possible incorrect assembly down the line and by operators. Maybe the top hole is used for locating the sub components during sub-assembly. Confusing to say the least.

On the M59 the pin retaining loop is down and obvious. No other holes to get confused by (that doesn't sound right ;))

/ Kubota Backhoe #17  
We can all moralize about how this is why you should do everything yourself and check everything anyone else ever does for you and trust noone etc etc but if the hole wasn't there this likely wouldn't have happened. And none of us would like to let a friend borrow something and find out they killed themselves with it over something so easily avoided. Yeah we should all take ownership and be careful yadda yadda but Kubota should also get rid of that damn hole unless it has a reason for being there that is more important than the guy in the video we just watched. Long odds..

I would definitely make the dealer aware of what their technician did, and you may choose to want a lot more from them than just 'awareness' and i wouldn't judge you for it. Could be an honest misunderstanding, or it could be the last straw they need to convince them to get rid of someone who's a 'repeat offender' and is inserting danger into a lot of other peoples' lives too. I'm a mechanic and if i leave something critical loose or incorrectly installed and something terrible happens i am rightfully subject to some consequence and the shop's insurance has to make it right, to the extent that money can.. Insurance never brought anyone back to life. But it's not 'whoops my bad tough **** for you'. That's not just unprofessional and bad business, it's being an ethically bad person choosing to do things to others you would not wish done to you. So do what you think will be most effective at preventing the next guy from being less lucky than you, whether it's just a heads up to the dealership, a conversation with Kubota, etc. But at the very least that tech needs to be made aware of the mistake and the potential consequences, to avoid potentially repeating this.

Last edited:
   / Kubota Backhoe #18  
Yikes! Impresses me as a design destined to cause problems for someone. Glad your friend wasn't seriously hurt.
I have a BH76 hoe and will double check the mounting system. THanks!

/ Kubota Backhoe #19  
I have the same BH77 and after many 100's of hours of use their design has never been a problem for me. Strong, easy on/off, etc...

as others have said wrong installation. Pin goes into lower hole so when vibration and gravity do their thing the pin stays where it should be.

Since you have yours in upper hole gravity / vibration moving it wrong way.

the upper hole is great place to attach a sling when using overhead crane / forks / etc... when you want to move around the BH when not attached to tractor.

/ Kubota Backhoe #20  
Mine was delivered that way too. I think the answer to why the 2 holes is the piece is flipped to be welded on the opposite side during manufacturing instead of left and rights they have one. I wonder if it would be good to put a short bolt and nut in the upper ones so I couldn't make that mistake by accident myself.

Bill