Kubota Backhoe

/ Kubota Backhoe #21  
I have a BX 24 and the backhoe mounting looks very similar. I have the two holes mentioned. But my manual does not specify which hole is to be used. My main pins are a very precise fit and it takes some fiddling to get them in. Sometimes I give up and use a hammer. So with my tractor the chance of the cross slide releasing and the main pin backing out are virtually nonexistent. I will start using the bottom hole now.

I am a little surprised that the operator didn't feel something wonky with the back hoe as the first main pin was near release.

Doug in SW IA

/ Kubota Backhoe #22  
My BH77 came with a piece of wire warped around the small pin and through the hole?
I thought that will never last. I have been using small SS hose clamps around the small pins. I will be changing this tomorrow when I reinstall the backhoe.

/ Kubota Backhoe #23  
Well we can talk about this forever and place the blame on the manufacturer but the operator should check the tractor over before operating.
Anyone who doesn't know which way the pin goes has no business near the tractor.
Those extra slots are for picking up the backhoe with a sling, very ingenious and thinking that they are for anything else is absurd.
I have operated very large equipment over the years and the companies made sure you were trained and familiar with the unit to protect them, you and anyone nearby.
The dealerships need to familiarize the buyer of how the equipment operates before sending them out with a wish and a prayer and hope they survive to buy more stuff.

Kubota and most large companies spend a lot of time and money designing this stuff to last and be safe I would say most problems are the fault of the operator not taking time to read the manual or the dealer not going over the safe operation of the implement that is bought by the owner.

/ Kubota Backhoe #24  
Well we can talk about this forever and place the blame on the manufacturer but the operator should check the tractor over before operating.
Anyone who doesn't know which way the pin goes has no business near the tractor.
Those extra slots are for picking up the backhoe with a sling, very ingenious and thinking that they are for anything else is absurd.
I have operated very large equipment over the years and the companies made sure you were trained and familiar with the unit to protect them, you and anyone nearby.
The dealerships need to familiarize the buyer of how the equipment operates before sending them out with a wish and a prayer and hope they survive to buy more stuff.

Kubota and most large companies spend a lot of time and money designing this stuff to last and be safe I would say most problems are the fault of the operator not taking time to read the manual or the dealer not going over the safe operation of the implement that is bought by the owner.
"I would say most problems are the fault of the operator not taking time to read the manual or the dealer not going over the safe operation of the implement that is bought by the owner."

Since it was the dealer that installed the pin wrong, they wouldn't be my choice to train anyone.

/ Kubota Backhoe #25  
My BH65 is like that also. But first time I looked at it, I knew the top hole is useless for holding the pin retainer.

Attachments

• 20201206_171708.jpg
    20201206_171708.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
   / Kubota Backhoe #26  
Blessing that your friend wasn't seriously hurt or killed. If his hands had slipped off the boom and he went headfirst between the boom and the outrigger, with his leg caught on the levers, the hoe would have crushed him and more than likely killed him.

This is a lawsuit in the making for that Dealer.

I would be kind and visit the dealership with the video, pictures and the manual. I'd pass on the experience so they can train their techs to not make this mistake.

Beyond saving them a lawsuit, you might save an owner's life.

/ Kubota Backhoe #27  
It's not the first issue we've seen with Kubota backhoe pin keepers. Almost ten years ago I remember us talking about their quick attach BH bucket that had the main retaining pin held from sliding out by a simple cotter pin. Several people - including myself - had the cotter pin fail and the backhoe bucket get into trouble.

The cure for that problem is the same as for this issue: use a proper fastener.

Here's photo from 2014 - it mentions the problem but if is of the wrong side to show the cotter pinSide closeup after annotation.jpg.png
rScotty

/ Kubota Backhoe #28  
It's not the first issue we've seen with Kubota backhoe pin keepers. Almost ten years ago I remember us talking about their quick attach BH bucket that had the main retaining pin held from sliding out by a simple cotter pin. Several people - including myself - had the cotter pin fail and the backhoe bucket get into trouble.

The cure for that problem is the same as for this issue: use a proper fastener.

Here's photo from 2014 - it mentions the problem but if is of the wrong side to show the cotter pinView attachment 785961
rScotty
You probably mean hitch pin, but yeh I hate those too. Anything I use often that has a hitch pin, and the hole can be drilled out to at least 1/4", I replace with a lynch pin. $1 dollar at TSC.

/ Kubota Backhoe #29  
Although this situation was an error on the part of the installer, this might be of value.

Kubota uses a similar setup to retain the FEL on their tractors. Difference being gravity is in your favor. Several years ago here on TBN someone started a thread about their pin coming out. They had bounced the tractor hard enough to cause the keeper pin to rise out of the retaining hole.

Being wintertime and shop bored I decided to "fix" that issue. Using my factory retaining pins I modified them and eliminated the chance of them bouncing out. Here's some pics of what I did.

DSC07069.JPG

DSC07073.JPG

DSC07075.JPG

DSC07076.JPG

/ Kubota Backhoe
UPDATE....

The dealer took ownership of the problem. They removed the backhoe and linebored the pin "pocket" back to what it should be, reinstalled it and she's ready to go again. Now I just gotta drive the 2hrs each way to get the rig back.

I didnt want to post details about the dealership unless they came through and did the right thing. Its Atlanta Kubota, and thus far they have been very good to me. They sold me the BH77 (but not the original tractor, I bought it used) at a significantly lower price than my nearby dealer, thus the long drive. So consider this a really positive review of Atlanta Kubota and their service department lead, David. Yeah, they made a mistake with the pin install, but I suspect there was a service department prayer meeting about this issue and it wont happen again!

My friend who was operating the thing when it came apart has some pretty nasty bruises on his legs but other than that, he is fine. As others have observed, it could have been far, far worse for him.