Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start

/ Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
Kohler 7000 series , vertical crankshaft, V twin KT 745,
won't start, after new coil was put in, due to mouse
eating, coil wire. Engine was run for 3 hrs. before I put in new coil.
Did remove shroud , and found huge mouse nest and nuts under shroud.
Removed all debris, and hosed cylinder fins clean.
Used business card gap for coil, put all back together, and now won't start. Did not check yet for spark.
Any ideas ? Engine is at 199.5 hrs , and was run for 3 hrs. just prior to this.
I'm at a loss for what is cause.... will check for spark at plugs next.
Am lucky N.Y. Hudson Valley is in a a dry spell now with no rain in the forecast for a week....
so grass will not need cutting , and it buys me some time to figure the problem out.
Just thought someone would have been through this with a Kolher V-twin.
Thanks.
Pete Hudson Valley , N.Y.

/ Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start #2  
While checking for spark, make sure you have fuel getting to the engine. Frequently (usually) the first start on mine after sitting all winter I need to pour some fuel into the carburetor to get it turning over good. Those Kohler fuel pumps don't seem to do the job unless the engine is running.

/ Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start
Thanks Roadworthy....will do.....

/ Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start #4  
You know, these only run for 200 hours unless you buy the extended warranty... Just kidding! Roadworthy probably has you on the right path.

.....should have got the extended warranty..... but at somewhere around $1,000.00...at the time it did not seem worth it.....
but now..... anyways checked for spark ...no spark at plugs , checked for power to the coils...and no power,
while cranking, checked only 20 amp fuse I could find in harness...it was good....
I did see some of the sealant separating from the reg/rectifier, and I did hose down engine...
if water got into reg/rectifier....may have damaged it... but power to the coils would not be
dependent on reg/ rectifier...would it ? I thought that was only for converting AC to DC ,
and regulating charge to the battery ? What could prevent power to both coils ?

/ Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start #6  
Would you mind posting the model and spec? I don't recall a 7000 with battery ignition. Commands and Courages had several types of ignition, one of which was battery powered. Typical coils will normally have the one white wire which supplies a ground when the ignition is turned off. If you unplug the engine harness or the wire at the coils, do you have spark then? You can check your regulator once it is up and running.

It is model KT745 ,7000 series 26 hp.....so to recap....a faulty reg/rectifier, should NOT prevent spark ?
Crazy thing is engine ran for 3 hrs. prior to shut down , when I removed mouse eaten coil.
When I put in new Kohler coil...I have NO spark...and I am at a loss why..... only thing I did was hose off
mouse nest debit , and that was 3 days ago....all is dry !
What could prevent spark at this point ? This thing is crazy....199 hrs. on it !

/ Kohler with 199 hrs. won't Start #8  
Check the part number stamped on both modules to make sure the numbers match. Kohler updated their modules in September of last year, and the new module uses a high voltage kill system whereas the old system used low voltage, the two modules are not compatible, and the new high voltage module will cook the electronics in the old style module. Always a good recommendation to replace the modules in parts anyway since they tend to fail quickly in pairs.

Unplug the white wire from the modules and then check for spark. they are a ground to kill system. But if you have the mismatch as I posted above you may need to replace the second module.

Wow....I threw away the old module , but I think I can find it in the trash.....you may be onto something here.
This is what I put in ... Kohler Genuine 32-584-24-S Digital Ignition Module Fits Some KT740 KT745 ZT740...
· Digital Magneto Ignition Module
· Genuine Kohler Part # 32-584-24-S Replaces 32-584-09-S
· Fits Specific Kohler KT740, KT745 & ZT740 Engine Models (Confirm Correct Part fits Your Engine Model & Spec Numbers)
· Genuine OEM Kohler Part Will compare part # and get back ...Thanks for your input.

Ok...checked old part... it was # 32-584-09-S...shouldn't it be compatible with the new 32-584-24-S ?
I mean....do they both have to be 32-584-24-S ?
Because now I have one old, and one of the new modules I would think they would work together.... but maybe not....
does Kohler have a Hot Line # to call ?