Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ?

/ Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
The Bolens Ht-23 lawn tractor is fitted with a K series Kohler opposed twin engine. (23HP)

It's getting some long of tooth, and lately has been sluggish to start.
I'm thinking of trying to uprgade the spark generation if possible, as it frequently starts on one cylinder, runs that way for about 3-4 minutes until the other cylinder kicks in. After that, all is well and good.
The As Delivered system uses a single , double ended coil, with a wasted spark configuration.
These double ended coils ALWAYS have one weaker side.

Has anyone run across a description of a worth while conversion to dual coils that still retains the single points assembly?
IA

CalG

/ Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ? #2  
I can't say that I've seen an upgrade on these old Kohlers. Rarely see them at all anymore. I'm guessing that you are talking about that old twin modular coil that Kohler is real proud of? Engine model and spec#s are real good in these situations. I suppose that you could put on their cylindrical battery ignition coils. But is this going to solve your problem? You say that it is getting tired. You think maybe 1 cylinder is burning off some oil on one side and that is why it is misfiring?

/ Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ?
I can't say that I've seen an upgrade on these old Kohlers. Rarely see them at all anymore. I'm guessing that you are talking about that old twin modular coil that Kohler is real proud of? Engine model and spec#s are real good in these situations. I suppose that you could put on their cylindrical battery ignition coils. But is this going to solve your problem? You say that it is getting tired. You think maybe 1 cylinder is burning off some oil on one side and that is why it is misfiring?
Thanks for the response.

Engine is in great shape. It
was freshened up, with new rings etc, a couple years ago after a head gasket failed. It doesn't use a pint of oil in 100 hours added to the Hobbs meter. Plugs come out oil free...

All the Kohler parts are getting spendy. That's why I thought there may be some ignition upgrade hacks out there ;-)

/ Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ? #4  
Do you have a copy of the service manual for this engine ?

/ Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ? #5  
I bet a coil for a points style 4 stroke motorcycle would do the trick

my 1978 Z 1000 was a points ignition and each modular coil assembly fires two cylinders .

replacements are cheap and these coils will support spark to much higher RPM than a Riding mower will ever see. Not sure on the included high tension wire length though

here is a ebay generic for about $20 maybe worth a try?

Last edited:
   / Kohler Ignition coil upgrade ? #6  

CalG​

Can you give us an update on your project ?

Richard