Kohler Courage compression release

/ Kohler Courage compression release #11  
I went through several parts diagrams and there is apparently no compression release on the Courage v-twin engine. If there is no one including Kohler does not sell the parts for it.

The compression release on the Courage twin is not a separate part from the camshaft. You have to replace the camshaft to get the compression release parts. the single has the replaceable compression release, but not the twin.

/ Kohler Courage compression release
I took a chance and ordered a new starter from DB Electrical. I know it is a china knockoff but the guy at the mower shop said they had used them before. Well long story short. I installed it, turned on the key and tried to start the engine and smoke started coming out of the top. When I tried to get an RMA from them they are charging me freight to return it for refund. I said I didn't want another one and they are going to charge be a restocking fee also. I took my old starter to a shop and am having it rebuilt. It is costing me more but at least I know it will be right. If this don't work I am going to put the whole mower at the 100 meter birm on my firing range and use it for target practice.:mur::censored:

/ Kohler Courage compression release #13  
Man, sorry to hear that

When my Kohler goes south on me (580 hours now with no trouble) my next will have a Kawasaki engine or a diesel.

I've really loved my Kohler V twin since I got it in 2007, but I'm aware that they are not commercial power plants so I'm not expecting a whole bunch from it. I'd love to see it make 1,000 hours, but that may be unrealistic even with Amsoil lubricants.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #14  
I'm not sure how this is a wise move. You described that the engine had difficulty cranking since new. So rebuilding this starter will return it to what state? I know it is easy to spend some else's money, but the updated OEM new starter turns faster and is more powerful- so why rebuild an old one? I'm sure it is in my service school notes or something, but it cranks ~ 80-100 rpms quicker than the original would in good shape.

When did the new starter come out? My neighbor has a mower with an SV725 Kohler that he bought last spring and his is doing the same thing mine did when new. His is slow to start also. He is worried his will start to not crank at all like mine.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #16  
I don't see a bulletin dating the change. The starter number of 3209808S replaces 3209801S, 3209803S, 3209804S. You would need to find an IPL for your specific engine and note which one it was built with.

These were the bullet points from update.
New 9 tooth pinion for increased torque

A new inertia drive starter has been developed with many advantages over the previous design.
Improvements include:

Stronger shaft - shaft diameter was increased from 12.5mm to 17mm
Less susceptible to bending or fracture
9 tooth pinion down from 10
Ratio allows for increased torque
Patent RDD (rubber disc drive) encapsulates the rubber and shields the friction surface from contaminants
Solves the grease/oil contamination slip issue
Higher torque and speed
Higher speed translates to more frequent pinion and ring gear meshing, Cranking speed is 80 rpm faster than the previous motor
Better performance
Better roll over engine speed and no hot restart stalling
Stable cranking
No kick outs of pinion due to higher torque
Lower current
Shorter motor
Pinion cold forged

Got my starter back for the shop yesterday. Put it back on and it spins the engine like a top. I don't recall the engine ever turning over that fast before. Guy at shop showed me the parts he replaced. The brushes and bearings were worn out. Thanks for the info tomplum. I am going to keep and eye out for one of those starters in case my new rebuilt one don't last long enough.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #18  
Good deal. You're living right!

/ Kohler Courage compression release #19  
I took a chance and ordered a new starter from DB Electrical. I know it is a china knockoff but the guy at the mower shop said they had used them before. Well long story short. I installed it, turned on the key and tried to start the engine and smoke started coming out of the top. When I tried to get an RMA from them they are charging me freight to return it for refund. I said I didn't want another one and they are going to charge be a restocking fee also. I took my old starter to a shop and am having it rebuilt. It is costing me more but at least I know it will be right. If this don't work I am going to put the whole mower at the 100 meter birm on my firing range and use it for target practice.:mur::censored:

I was getting ready to order a starter from DB for my 1045 but ,after reading your post, I may just rebuild my old one.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #20  
We all talked about this Kohler engine and starter issues earlier this year.... and would you know it..... at 660 hours my trusty 25HP Kohler Courage Pro starter went from working fine every day to being dead as a door nail while in the garage. I went to M&R Kubota and grabbed the updated design that they had on the shelf for $160 and now I am ready for the next 700 hours.