Kohler Courage compression release

/ Kohler Courage compression release #21  
Good morning from NZ..
I have an issue with a Kohler Courage SV710 V-Twin 20HP engine on a Husqvarna Ride-on.

The original starter motor has worn badly - top bearing/shaft play is excessive ( I read here now that these are a weak point) and is failing to turn the engine past compression.

My query is two-fold as I was unaware of the upgrades mentioned in Tomplum's post #16 and failed to note whether it has the 9 or 10-tooth pinion. (I can check later).

1. Would fitting a 9-tooth starter motor be likely to help this engine crank satisfactorily ?

and

2. is the compression-release a common failure requiring camshaft replacement in addition to the starter motor replacement? It is hard to turn the engine by hand.

We have two replacement options listed locally. (OEM & Aftermarket.)
Prices are in NZ$
(Pictures may not represent the actual item since they both look identical)

Thanks for any input.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #22  
I took a chance and ordered a new starter from DB Electrical. I know it is a china knockoff but the guy at the mower shop said they had used them before. Well long story short. I installed it, turned on the key and tried to start the engine and smoke started coming out of the top. When I tried to get an RMA from them they are charging me freight to return it for refund. I said I didn't want another one and they are going to charge be a restocking fee also. I took my old starter to a shop and am having it rebuilt. It is costing me more but at least I know it will be right. If this don't work I am going to put the whole mower at the 100 meter birm on my firing range and use it for target practice.:mur::censored:
I hate to hear this about DB Electric. I have bought numerous starters and alternators from them. All have been low cost and trouble free. I have also recommended them to many based on my positive experience but I never had need to return anything to them.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #23  
3209810S is the latest number with the latest price should you be interested. Currently 175$ No opinion on specific aftermarket starters as I use the OEM. While valve lash which is excessive can be a factor on the amount of effort it takes to crank, it isn't normally on these. Likely not a cam issue on these either. Anything related to a compression release is ground into the cam. If you wish to set the valve lash and have the leaking tin valve covers, there is an updated composite kit (like the Command style) available inexpensively.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #24  
3209810S is the latest number with the latest price should you be interested. Currently 175$ No opinion on specific aftermarket starters as I use the OEM. While valve lash which is excessive can be a factor on the amount of effort it takes to crank, it isn't normally on these. Likely not a cam issue on these either. Anything related to a compression release is ground into the cam. If you wish to set the valve lash and have the leaking tin valve covers, there is an updated composite kit (like the Command style) available inexpensively.
Thanks, Tom. (I was hoping to hear from you.)
I'm an OEM disciple as well (B&S MST) and that will be my recommedation. - However the owner's budget will dictate their choice. I can only advise.

If I read correctly on an earlier page the valve clearance is 0.004" @ TDC ?

Thanks for info in Cam/Decompressor. That saves me opening the crankcase.

Will check valves.

I appreciate your timely response.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #25  
TDC after the intake closes rotating in the correct direction.

/ Kohler Courage compression release #27  
That'll work! .004-.006 is spec.