Kioti KB2465 backhoe question

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question #1  

JB29

Tractor
2017 Kioti CK2510
I am about to purchase a family member's 2017 Kioti CK2510HST. I will be looking to add a backhoe and was wondering what size bucket would work well with this compact tractor ?
Is the 16" backhoe bucket too much of a strain on the 24.5 HP engine? Thank you. JB29

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question #2  
That will cost you a few $$$ like 7-8K with subframe. I would go with 16".

Usually, they offer a 12 or 16" for that BH, and get a thumb too - invaluable for rocks and logs.

Also, smaller buckets can clog up easier.

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question #3  
I have the 16" bucket on my KB2475, the one size larger backhoe. It's great for working in loose soils, but feels too wide for me when digging out stumps or trying to just cut a narrow trench. I would go with a 12" if selecting new. I would like to get a 12" myself, but they are $1000 just for a dang steel bucket! I'm too cheap for that.

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question #4  
Oh and per OP question, No the engine's 24 HP is plenty for the backhoe and bucket sized, and your hydraulic pump doesn't mind working at full flow all day long - you are primarily limited by the weight of the machine. The backhoe will be able to toss your tractor all around.

You won't ever run out of digging power because of the engine power, or hydraulic flow, though - the bucket digging strength is based upon the cylinder sizing in the backhoe itself.

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question
You both make good points to ponder. I will have to see what the dealer has and the $$ involved. Thank you for your valued opinions. Pros and cons to everything. Tractor newbie, JB29.

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question #6  
I prefer a 12" bucket on my backhoe, and I have also had (and sold) a 9" and an 18". I also prefer better, custom-made teeth. Soft cast steel teeth are awful, in my experience. Even a 12" bucket can clog up, if you have wet clay soils. 9" buckets are just too narrow for most of us in that they clog so easily. Trenching will prob be biggest use of a backhoe, so extra-wide buckets are not ideal.

4y ago, I got a tiny 1-ton excavator. The Chinese bkts are super shallow and weak. I made my own 12-incher and love it. It features an extra-long sharp center tooth so that it digs and tears up rocks and roots extra-well.

Weight and bucket types are real issue with efficient digging, as DEEZLER states. Hydraulic force and speed on CK2510 are more than adequate.

/ Kioti KB2465 backhoe question #7  
Hey JB29, how much are you planning to spend? I just ordered my new tractor and declined the $9000 backhoe option. I can rent a lot of hole diggers for that (for my needs anyway).