Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable?

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #41  
Wow. $70 was a great deal, and your friend was very kind to loan out his trailer.
Last year my Kubota had to get hauled by the dealer for non warranty work (I snapped off the lower 3 point hitch arm mounting tab on the case). I think they charged $75 per hour from when they left the shop to when they returned, both ways. Worked out to about $300 all said and done for pickup and delivery. I think that was a reasonable rate, but I still bought a 12k trailer capable of hauling my tractor in future.

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #42  
I think you guys complaining about the cost haven't considered the cost of offering a field service...

-Front desk recieves/processes the request for service lets say $15/hr and this is a half hour job...with overhead of management, office space, etc lets say this is $20.
-Service manager allocates work for the day at $30/hr. Insurance and other compensation the business is probably paying $37/hr. Lets say 10 minutes $3.
-Lets say this tech is making $25/hr. Insurance and other compensation the business is probably paying about $32/hr.
-150 miles round trip, in a tool truck with an moving average speed of 45 mph is 3.3 hrs, so $96 for the tech.
-150 miles in a tool truck at 12mpg diesel $5/gal is $62.50
-Maint on the truck lets say $0.05/mile, so $7.50
-100k truck and tools (I think this is a very low estimate) amortized over five years is $78/ a business day (how many days a week does it actually go on the road? If less than five this number increases dramatically)
-Insurance on the truck is probably $10/day (if it doesn't go on the road every day this number also continues to increase dramatically)
-Now the tech is on site at least an hour (arrive, meet, locate equipment, plug in computer, complete paperwork, write a receipt, say goodbye) another $32.
-It's a four hour job for that tech but it's likely most of his work for the day by the time he comes in, gets the job, gets the keys, gets back, takes care of the truck, gets back to the office so lets just give the job the rest of his day's wage (3.7 hrs) $111

So with my beer math the COST of the trip is: $453

-The business isn't trying to do this for free, lets say they need to make 20% so $93.

So overall right around $545 with my estimated costs...I'm betting most are low. So at the end of the day $700 seems close to "at cost" to me.
That sounds about right if you don't think the warranty should pay for anything?

Profit or not on warranty work is resolved between mfg. and dealer, and should be transparent to the customer.

Transport should be resolved with the dealer at time of purchase, the customer should know if it is included or at an additional cost. In this case the customer should move the machine or contract someone to move it if that is cheaper.

Best,

ed

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #43  
I dont know of any model tractor that includes free transport as part of warranty, but i may be wrong. I know my JD and Kioti did not include pickup and delivery for warranty. I had a small flatbed trailer with drop down ramp for the JD870 and i sold that when i sold the JD. I purchased a 14000# tilt bed trailer when i got the Kioti. I use that trailer all the time for other stuff.

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #44  
Tough to do generically as customers' distances vary wildly. A dealer may want to offer ' free' or cheap inside a certain radius. That is just a marketing expense to get local business. No way a manufacturer could rationally offer something like that given the variables.

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #45  
Sounds like he obviously meant “corrupted” but said corroded instead. Unfortunately ECU calibrations do have this issue under rare circumstances. Hope your reflash is now permanently durable!

Yeah that would gave sucked to pay hundreds of dollars for while under warranty, but you made the right call and got it resolved correctly and efficiently.

Myself, I dont plan to ever own a piece of expensive equipment that is under warranty without having the personal capability to transport it. A proper trailer is basically a neat form of freedom, opportunity and insurance all in one.

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #46  
That sounds about right if you don't think the warranty should pay for anything?

Profit or not on warranty work is resolved between mfg. and dealer, and should be transparent to the customer.

Transport should be resolved with the dealer at time of purchase, the customer should know if it is included or at an additional cost. In this case the customer should move the machine or contract someone to move it if that is cheaper.

Best,

ed
Warranty, basically the same as when the government gives away money….

They customer still pays for the warranty one way or another.

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #47  
The service charge is a little steep IMO but the dealer is only obligated to preform the warranty work at his shop. The burden of getting the tractor there and back falls on you.

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable?
Wife now agrees with me that I need a bigger trailer, for the next time the tractor needs service! :ROFLMAO:

/ Kioti dealer service call pricing...unreasonable? #49  
I dont know of any model tractor that includes free transport as part of warranty, but i may be wrong.
Not sure if you're wrong, as I honestly don't remember how it's spelled out in my warranty. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that my Deere dealer has retrieved and delivered back my 3033r with zero charge on two separate occasions. Once was to install an option that was on temporary back-order when I took initial delivery, the second time was for a warranty repair. No charge, either time, but I am much closer to the dealer. It's possible that if the distance was as far as the OP's, they may have been looking to charge me.