King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread”

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #1  

KeithT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510HST SE
Hello, I use the spreader for applying a mixture of #8 limestone and salt to my 1/4 mile long and steep paved driveway.

Even with keeping my PTO speed around 350-400 it still throws about 25-30’. My drive is 12’ wide. I have tried adjusting the vanes, and I have a rubber shroud mounted between the tractor and the spreader, to keep any debri off of my tractor, this shroud I curved out to try and contain the spread. To no avail. I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

So, what about trimming the vanes down? Currently they extend 2” past the throwing plate.

Any ideas?

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #2  
The only thing you can do with a spin cast spreader is reduce the flow or do a massive surgery
by having long enough steel arms welded lower frame arms to hold large enough sheet metal
plates to create baffles to stop the over spread.

If your home is going to be "YOUR HOME" for the "long term" I am going to suggest that you sell
the spin caster and invest in the smallest VICON PENDULUM spreader which will not overspread
and will not rust up like a spinner spreader would as it has a poly hopper.

You will be able to narrow the spread width by making simple manual adjustments for flow and
spreading width and you can order a salt/sand spreading tube to spread the limestone salt mixture
with no overspread.

The other realistic option is to invest in a king cutter ATV ground drive spreader.

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread”
I will check into the Vicon. With my drive being paved and one section a 12% grade, I am not confident a pull behind spreader will work well.

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #4  
1704452122142.png

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #5  
Would lowering the spreader to a few inches off the ground help? Or tilt it backwards towards the ground (extend the top link)?

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #6  
I will check into the Vicon. With my drive being paved and one section a 12% grade, I am not confident a pull behind spreader will work well.
I've got a Vicon (now Kubota) and they are no different that the King Kutter you are using. I've spread untold tons of fertilizer with these and they will do exactly what you want.

Just slow down the PTO speed. 400 rpm is way too fast and will fling stuff 25 ft out. I normally spread 30 ft wide at 550 but in narrow areas slow the pto down enough to squeeze maybe 12 ft wide. Just barely an idle. Just keep slowing the pto speed down till you get what you want. I've done it with a Vicon or the Italian one you have for 40 years and no problems. It will spread a tad wider because the slower pto speed will put a fine "overlap" edge at the max end of the throw.

**Small note here is that the Vicon poly hopper will indeed not freeze up but other parts will and need to be washed, oiled, greased and re-greased or it will corrode up PDQ. The width adjusting nut will lock in the width set unless you grease and turn the nut multiple times when done. I also wash out whatever I can, pressure wash and then spray anything metal with oil. When I say this must be done immediately, I mean that very second. Go inside for a ham sandwich and get to buy another Vicon or whatever..

Last edited:
   / King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #7  
Hello and good morning six dogs,

I neglected to add to the note about washing the pendulum spreader after every
use when I added my note about investing the Vicon Pendulum spreader for his use.

The beauty of the pendulum spreader is that he could use concrete sand instead of
the limestone salt mix and lay it on heavier and achieve the same results.

They have finally stopped spreading to much salt on my secondary road I think in
part due to my nice letter to the NYSDOT chief engineer in the district and you
can see and feel the difference where the surrounding area is much colder and the
salt is no longer spread 16 feet past the edge of the road and hitting my flower box
in the front yard.

I explained in detail describing how they are wasting salt and damaging trees with
the overspread creating salt water that leaches into the ground and causes planted
pine trees to be salt damaged which reduces the trees ability to grow and damages
the lower part of the trunk and destroys the tree limbs over time preventing them
from growing further.

I also explained that the spinner spreaders they use are extremely difficult to calibrate
due to the rock salt having a great deal of salt dust fines in it which increase the amount
of salt beyond the 200 pounds per lane mile which is the minimum they want spread to
create a "wet" road surface to allow traffic to pass at posted speeds.

I explained further that the only way to manage this is to slow the hydraulic motor that
operated the spinner disc down further and place baffle plates on the side of the salt spreader
at the height of the spinner at the spreader trucks tires to stop the overspread of salt.

I also mentioned that we still have salt leaching out of the rumble strip holes in the center of the road
late into the summer months every year after heavy warm rains previous to this when they use a great
deal of rock salt.

I am sure his lord majesty Robert Moses the hated highway architect of New York State
is cursing me from is grave but there is less salt being spread and polluting the fresh water
flowing in the drainage ditches.

I knew my letter to the chief engineer of District 3 was taken seriously by the NYSDOT when
after the last snow fall the salt spread on the road was spread no further than the danger
line/fog line/white paint on the road and over time the snow on the shoulder of the road
melted away.

The entire local area is colder as there is less heat being created by the lesser amount of rock salt
being used and radiated from the roads.

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #8  
leonz---
Years back I bought a big (BIG) Vicon spreader, put 2500 lbs of fertilizer in, opened the drop gate wide and started at 540PTO with no feathering in. I think I shot fertilizer to the next county and put a nice coating up against some buildings. Note to self: don't do that again.

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread” #9  
Salt And Sand Spreading Control Kit fits Farm-Max SP and SPL SeriesI have this on my spreader. You can buy it or make something like it....

/ King Kutter spreader; decreasing the “spread”
Would lowering the spreader to a few inches off the ground help? Or tilt it backwards towards the ground (extend the top link)?
I have tried that. Not much help though