Kids Swing, would this work?

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #21  
I built an A frame swing - two "A"s on each end cross braced (like the horizontal part of an A) all out of 4 x 8s and bolted together. That held two regular swings and a tire swing for 20 years before I took it down and used the wood for other purposes. I would not attach a swing to a tree branch unless you were really certain it would not break - at least not on oak trees. We have seen very large oak tree branches and oak trees coming down from time to time even though you would swear the trees were solid.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #22  
. . . The twisting forces will be enormous . . .

Use the twisting forces to advantage. Put a length of 6" pipe vertically in the hole with a bearing device at the lower end. Size the timber upright appropriately so that with minimal shaving it will rotate in the pipe. The bracing on the crossbar, while it still need be strong enough to keep the cross bar horizontal, need only be rotationally strong enough to overcome frictional resistance at the post/pipe interface. The ride will be much more exciting.
Note: The extra cost of the pipe will likely be immaterial compared to the increase in insurance premiums a prudent owner would pay for protection from accident and liability claims.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #23  
Use the twisting forces to advantage. Put a length of 6" pipe vertically in the hole with a bearing device at the lower end. Size the timber upright appropriately so that with minimal shaving it will rotate in the pipe. The bracing on the crossbar, while it still need be strong enough to keep the cross bar horizontal, need only be rotationally strong enough to overcome frictional resistance at the post/pipe interface. The ride will be much more exciting.

It sure would ... until the pivoting assembly has the swinger swinging back into the center pole. That's where the aforementioned insurance will come in very handy.