Kids Swing, would this work?

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
I'd like to make a cheap swing for my 5 year old. I was thinking about sinking a 14 ft. 6"x 6" in the ground about 4 ft. deep in pea gravel. I'd then put a cross bar, probably a 4 x 4 at the top with some bracing and hang a swing from one side and a climbing rope from the other. Do you think the hole would wallow out when a 40-50 lb. kid was swinging on it?

If it didn't work I could repurpose the wood so the only thing lost would be time and energy.

Kevin

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #2  
If that is a T you are thinking of- might collapse on the swing side unless you throw in angle brackets. Then you'd just have to worry about twist.
Good luck.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #3  
I think the swinging action would create wobble in the post over time. I used three tall 6X6 posts to make my kids' swingset (one post was the top bar) and these wobbled a bit. With my kids grown beyond that kind of swinging, it is now a grape arbor, and the outboard end of my clothesline.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #4  
I'm thinking the physics are not on your side with that design. Neat idea, though.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #5  
It sounds like a neat design, however, its going to want to tip the main post not only to one side but also twist it. Also, you're going to have to have the 4x4 out from the main post a bit so the kids don't hit the post with their hands of knuckles when they want to swing crazy instead of straight, so that's gonna put more weight hanging off the 4x4 with no counter balance. Use 6x6 on each end and a 4X8 for a cross beam. We've had one up for 21 years and its still sturdy.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #6  
Yep. A T isn't going to last very long at all. Make that a couple of 6x6s and a crossbar and you'd be good. You can have the crossbar hang over one end for a climbing rope.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #7  
... and pea gravel will turn into a litter box if there are any outside cats around.

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #8  
I can't think of how you would attach the post on top so that it wouldn't work itself loose in a short amount of time. Even if you mounted the cross beam down several feet and braced it from the top, the forward/backwards forces would be extremely difficult to compensate for.

/ Kids Swing, would this work?
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll go the 2 post route as suggested, as soon as the snow quits flying that is.

Kevin

/ Kids Swing, would this work? #10  
swing.jpg