Kellogg American Compressor

/ Kellogg American Compressor
I picked it up today.
What do you think caused this line to split
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

Also I did remove the large plug towards the bottom and flushed it out with a garden hose and got maybe a gallon of rust. I’m looking for a newer tank but first want to power it up to make sure it would be worth putting money into it.
I paid $350 for it and the vfd along with a relay for the cooler and the 50’ or so of wiring.

View attachment 727275

Last edited:
   / Kellogg American Compressor #13  
What do you think caused this line to split
Could be fatigue as copper work hardens.
.......got maybe a gallon of rust.
Ouch, that's scary, When you do start it, I wouldn't run it up to full pressure, any way you can get hold of a scope and look inside?
I paid $350 for it and the vfd along with a relay for the cooler and the 50’ or so of wiring.
Even if it turns out to be a boat anchor, I don't believe you lost money...............Mike

/ Kellogg American Compressor #14  
Probably frozen condensation in the unloader line... Oil looks nasty too. Think I'd be changing that pretty quick. Just don't use motor oil, use specific compressor oil. I happen to use Rarus VG 42 reciprocating compressor oil in my Quincy and Sullaire screw compressor oil in the screw compressor. Rarus is available at MSC in gallons online.

I might add you need to check the air filter and clean it too. I bet it's filthy.

I hooked it up and pumped it to about 135 lbs it did great but I’m still not liking the tank so I purchased a tank from a newer compressor that went bad. It’s a 2008 build and real clean inside and probably 20 gallons larger being 100 gallons.
I’ll have some work to do changing things over though.
Btw I soldered the small split in the copper line.

/ Kellogg American Compressor #16  
personally i would have replaced the line.... maybe replaced both lines while at it.

/ Kellogg American Compressor #17  
I guess at this point, there is not much to say. You already have it, so you can probably tell us more than we can tell you.

I always think when I buy a compressor you are buying 4 basic parts. Tank, Motor, Compressor, and control box.
I am guessing the tank is in poor condition, at best. Then the motor is of no use to you, replace the tank and motor. About the compressor - what is the operating pressure and operating cfm. Does it have good compression?

I think I would pass. But lucky finding a tank. I am not sure solder will hold. It is pretty soft and it is a split, not a crack. But, maybe it will fit your needs and be a value. I hope so. Sounds like you are on the way to making it work.

I guess at this point, there is not much to say. You already have it, so you can probably tell us more than we can tell you.

I always think when I buy a compressor you are buying 4 basic parts. Tank, Motor, Compressor, and control box.
I am guessing the tank is in poor condition, at best. Then the motor is of no use to you, replace the tank and motor. About the compressor - what is the operating pressure and operating cfm. Does it have good compression?

I think I would pass. But lucky finding a tank. I am not sure solder will hold. It is pretty soft and it is a split, not a crack. But, maybe it will fit your needs and be a value. I hope so. Sounds like you are on the way to making it work.

I have the motor hooked up and running so it is useful, the solder is temporary just to get started as for me to know if I wanted to throw a little more money in it.
I think it’s going to be a good one.