Kellogg American Compressor

/ Kellogg American Compressor #1  

Dwellonroof

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3046r
I’m going to look at a old compressor but it’s 3 phase and not hooked up so what should I be looking for? Anything particular?
I know I would need a single phase motor to replace the existing.

IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG

/ Kellogg American Compressor #2  
First thing I'd be concerned with is the tank. It's hard to tell in the pic, any water drain on it? Without it actually going it's hard to tell anything else......Mike

/ Kellogg American Compressor #3  
If you can turn the compressor, see if it has good compression. Other than that, not much you can do without power. As far as the 3 phase, you can get AC frequency drives that will connect single phase and has 3 phase output. I have 2 of them I'm running on a drill press and a belt sander. Mine work perfectly. They are cheaper than replacing the motor as well.

/ Kellogg American Compressor
I did look at it this morning and it is still installed and heard it run which was a plus but the copper line going to the unloader is split and the drain plug removed.
It comes with what the fellow hooked up to convert to 3 phase which is a frequency converter set up, the fellow that owned it passed away and had a few degrees in engineering.
Hopefully it's a good one since I purchased it and will pick it up in a few days.

/ Kellogg American Compressor #6  
Curious as to how much you gave for it? Secondly, if it's not already, I'd back the pressure switch down to 135 psi. They last a lot longer t reduced pressure and get less carbon buildup on the reed petals.

Unless you are using a very high volume tool like a 3/4 drive impact. 135 psi is plenty. Where I have my Sullaire screw compressor set at as well as my backup Quincy QP reciprocation compressor.

/ Kellogg American Compressor #7  
The main thing I'd want to know is if the tank is in good condition. If it has a weak spot or two, it could explode when pressurized. That never ends well, especially if a person catches shrapnel. I've seen pictures of this that make me rather leery.

I don't know how to check the tank, other than disassembly of the compressor as needed for a visual. Nor do I know if a visual is sufficient to determine safety.

Before I was aware of this, an old compressor of mine developed a leak in the tank. turns out it was rusted through. I got quite lucky it leaked before it grenaded. Due to the compressor's age, I took it part to recycle what I could. Discovered the electrical wires going into the motor had missing and cracked insulation, so the leak saved me from possible electrocution. It was time...

/ Kellogg American Compressor
I have a cheap borescope and hopefully I can remove one of the plugs and at least look inside.

/ Kellogg American Compressor #9  
If it develops a pin hole in will be in the bottom where the condensation collects.

Unless there is a access plug towards the bottom your cheap borescope will be useless. One of those endoscopes I presume from Amazon.

In the past, I've welded more then one but yo have to know what you are doing and prep is everything.

Both of mine have auto drains on them and even so, I'll blow them off every so often just because.

Only ones I've ever seen grenade was on You Tube and I have to presume from over pressurization.

Cut the head to 135 psi and be happy. Besides, it will suck less electricity.

/ Kellogg American Compressor #10  
open the drain somehow and see what comes out. should be a milky white(ish) color. If its rusty than it still could be ok but not serviced as it should. Had a new 5hp Devillbiss that 25 years later still looked milky.
Used it everyday a lot till I started using battery tools. after that all it was used for was chicking tires.
Now after i moved i just have a little 3hp Dewalt. tires and cleaning off the chainsaw is about all its used for.