Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #11  
Problem with the escape ladders is going down one holding a three year old. They have one but for gosh sakes get out before the route is blocked. I have told them the first addition they need to do is build an exit from the rear of the house.

RSKY

My 3 year old grandson would be up and down the side of that ladder three times,
waiting for me to get down the first time,,, :laughing:

Does anyone have any part#'s for great fire extinguishers?? :dance1:

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #12  
Yep, bought fire extinguishers for both the daughter's houses and ours too!

There were two little girls that died in a house fire not too far from where we live. This happened last month. When I started looking for the news story on the tragedy I came upon several stories of children perishing in fires.

I have mixed feelings about buying fire extinguishers for Kids. Will the child be able to make a judgement call on weather to attempt to extinguish the fire or to leave the building. I have seen several people (adults) burned really bad and some died trying to extinguish a fire. You can train on how to use an extinguisher but how do you train them when not to use the extinguisher? Fire departments do not teach school age children how to use a fire extinguisher just to exit the building. At what age would you feel comfortable to tell your child/teenager to go into the kitchen and put out a fire with the extinguisher when you are not there?

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts
My 3 year old grandson would be up and down the side of that ladder three times,
waiting for me to get down the first time,,, :laughing:

Does anyone have any part#'s for great fire extinguishers?? :dance1:

I was told by several people, including one on TBN who had owned an extinguisher business, to get the Amerex brand extinguishers. So I shopped around online and purchased them from Wal-Mart because they were the cheapest. Five pound one is $37.27, ten pound $53.79 ordered online and delivered to our local store. I ordered six of the 5lb and two of the 10lb. I also looked at what local businesses had hanging on their walls and nearly all were the Amerex brand. The one specially made for kitchen grease fires is by Kiddee and the were $30 for two at Home Depot when I started my research but had risen $10 by the time I ordered. Wal-Mart had them for $16.25.

I am NOT an expert on this and somebody else may have better ideas but I had been looking at this for weeks.

RSKY

I have mixed feelings about buying fire extinguishers for Kids. Will the child be able to make a judgement call on weather to attempt to extinguish the fire or to leave the building. I have seen several people (adults) burned really bad and some died trying to extinguish a fire. You can train on how to use an extinguisher but how do you train them when not to use the extinguisher? Fire departments do not teach school age children how to use a fire extinguisher just to exit the building. At what age would you feel comfortable to tell your child/teenager to go into the kitchen and put out a fire with the extinguisher when you are not there?
'

The extinguishers are not for the kids. They are for the parents to get the kids out. In the two story house the youngest just turned 3 months. I have spent about as much time thinking about location as type of extinguisher and they will be placed so that they can be grabbed and used to clear a path OUT OF THE HOUSE or to get upstairs and get the kids so as to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

The oldest daughter's husband has been a volunteer fire fighter since he was in high school and his instructions to his kids in case of fire are to wake everybody up and GET OUT and don't stop running until you are out of the yard.

As I stated earlier all three houses have interconnected alarms so a fire in the far end of the house will alert all over the house.

Once again, I will re-instruct all involved that the extinguishers are there to stop a small fire from getting the entire house aflame, such as a kitchen grease fire, and to enable everybody to get out of the house. They are not intended or able to stop a fire that has already engulfed the furniture or walls.

Two of the things I was told to look for in extinguishers was distance spray would reach, and duration of spray.

RSKY

RSKY

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #16  
'

The extinguishers are not for the kids. They are for the parents to get the kids out. In the two story house the youngest just turned 3 months. I have spent about as much time thinking about location as type of extinguisher and they will be placed so that they can be grabbed and used to clear a path OUT OF THE HOUSE or to get upstairs and get the kids so as to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

RSKY, What about the smoke, The thick as pea soup, arid, superheated smoke. When they are crawling on the ground feeling, trying to figure where they are in the house, with their nose on the ground trying to get a little bit of air. A lot of times the fire is not even visible. Movies and TV have distorted the way the inside of a building really is during a fire. You do have the smoke detection and exit plan covered which is the most important and are miles ahead of most people who do not plan for a fire. As long as you consider the smoke in the early part of the fire. Extinguishers are great for the adults that see the fire start (first 2-4 minutes) after that the smoke is the killer of the victims and the rescuers. You are a good Father and Grandfather!

RSKY, What about the smoke, The thick as pea soup, arid, superheated smoke. When they are crawling on the ground feeling, trying to figure where they are in the house, with their nose on the ground trying to get a little bit of air. A lot of times the fire is not even visible. Movies and TV have distorted the way the inside of a building really is during a fire. You do have the smoke detection and exit plan covered which is the most important and are miles ahead of most people who do not plan for a fire. As long as you consider the smoke in the early part of the fire. Extinguishers are great for the adults that see the fire start (first 2-4 minutes) after that the smoke is the killer of the victims and the rescuers. You are a good Father and Grandfather!

Can't do anything about the smoke. The only thing I can think of is to have them put a large attic fan in the upstairs that would suck the smoke out. Put a switch in the master bedroom that would turn it on BUT that would also feed oxygen to a fire. So........

I am also investigating emergency lights. I want one that will plug into an outlet in a hall or stairway and come on if the power fails but is also a permanent nightlight illuminating the way out.

Still looking for that.

RSKY

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #18  
Good idea on the lighting, put them low so the smoke will not block them out.