Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Yep, bought fire extinguishers for both the daughter's houses and ours too!

There were two little girls that died in a house fire not too far from where we live. This happened last month. When I started looking for the news story on the tragedy I came upon several stories of children perishing in fires.

Scared me. Because I cannot imagine loosing one of my four grandkids.

Then I got to thinking about the 120+ year old wooden house my youngest and family have moved into. The house is in good shape but there is only one way out of the upstairs where the bedrooms are located.

So I started researching in my usual obsessive way and have today ordered several different types of extinguishers for the daughter's homes and for ours. One for each of their kitchens plus ours that is designed to put out grease fires. The kitchen is where 65% of fires start. I was leaning toward the aerosol can type but read several bad reviews so I decided on the one that has a nozzle designed to supposedly not splatter burning grease out of a pan and with a chemical designed to prevent reflashing.

Two 10lb for the youngest daughter that will be located were they can use them to get the kids out of their 120+ year old wooden house. One in the master bedroom upstairs and one centrally located inside the basement door downstairs. They have the NEST detectors which are supposedly the best you can buy. We have already discussed what they should do if the house catches on fire or if they smell smoke. Get the kids out and to **** with the house!!!! There are also 5lb extinguishers for the garage and laundry room. The laundry room is located upstairs at the opposite end from the master bedroom and stairway so that is why I will put it there.

Oldest daughter's house is one floor and has several ways out unlike the younger's which has only one staircase. So they get a 5lb in the garage next to the door going to the kitchen and another centrally located in the foyer closet. A smaller one will be in the laundry and one between the garage doors. They have a huge garage.

My house will have a 5lb in the garage next to utility room door and close to the dryer. Another 5lb in the shop. A smaller one will go in the lawn mower building. And I ordered a small one for my truck and the Kioti. Gotta have something about a tractor!

The eight larger extinguishers are rechargeable though the smaller ones are use and throw away.

We all have good smoke detectors which are linked together. If one detects smoke all go off.

So yes I get something on my mind and it worries me to death. Especially if it concerns the grands. Then I go out and go to extremes but this is about my kids and grandkids. And I could not get the family loosing those two little girls out of my mind.

RSKY

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #2  
A fine investment, RSKY.

We all have good smoke detectors which are linked together. If one detects smoke all go off.

Our electrician is doing this in our house. We have smoke detectors connected to our alarm system, but they are independent of each other. He's adding a second set that are all connected, including a CO detector.

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #4  
RSKY,

Fire safety is a great gift. We had a small cabin we lived in burn down. We had a fire extinguisher that allowed us to get out. We lost everything except our chain saw. I garbed it as we ran out the door.

Now I live in an all concrete and steel house with 20+ sprinkler heads!

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #5  
Good on ya RSKY. I've got several extinguishers around my house/workshop/tractor/ute + a fire-blanket in the kitchen. After 40+ years of Navy life it became ingrained in my psyche to always have fire-fighting appliances to hand. To this day, no matter what building/business I enter, I unconsciously 'note' where the extinguishers/hose-reels are.

As to your daughter's 2-story house, there are roll-up escape ladders available. They fit under a bed and a couple of them offer alternative escape routes.

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #6  
Great idea you won,t be sorry.We keep fire extinguishers in our home,barns and every car/trucks we own.

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #7  
As to your daughter's 2-story house, there are roll-up escape ladders available. They fit under a bed and a couple of them offer alternative escape routes.

On TV I've seen installations of 2nd story escape ladders that mount into the wall under the window.

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts
Problem with the escape ladders is going down one holding a three year old. They have one but for gosh sakes get out before the route is blocked. I have told them the first addition they need to do is build an exit from the rear of the house.

RSKY

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #9  
Problem with the escape ladders is going down one holding a three year old. They have one but for gosh sakes get out before the route is blocked. I have told them the first addition they need to do is build an exit from the rear of the house.

RSKY

OK then, think laterally... include a length of pre-measured rope with a pre-tied bowline knot or 'strop'. The child can be lowered down first, followed by the adult via the ladder.

/ Just spent $468.07 on Valentines Gifts #10  
A common denominator in almost all fire deaths (inside a structure) is no smoke detector or a malfunctioning smoke detector.
You should have a planned fire drill with the kids, set off a detector when they are in bed and have them crawl to safety after checking for heat at the door and meet at a designated place outside. Then have another when they cannot get out the door and must use the window. :thumbsup: