Joined the red club!

/ Joined the red club! #21  
Good find (y) enjoy.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Joined the red club! #22  
I wouldn’t tow that rig with that car at 70mph if you gave it to me. I’ve seen what happens when things go wrong and you’re pushing the limits.
I own a 2018 GC ecodiesel.
Drive it all day down the interstate at 70-75mph and 28-29mpg is the norm.
As was stated, they are rated to tow 7,000lbs. The Ecodiesel GC also comes with bigger brakes. I have not done it as I also have a 2020 Ram HO Aisin cummins. Got the GC set up like that in case my Ram was in for service, I could tow my smaller trailers if need be.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Joined the red club! #23  
threads like this a good way to drive new/low post people away.
look at how its sitting.
tow vehicle fairly level rear very slightly lwer but we do NOT know the shape of the terrain its on, trailer tongue slightly lower than rear of trailer, tractor weight slightly ahead of moment on trailer, rear axle of trailer not a lot more weight than front (equalizer bar trailers often look like this anyways) so should be ok .
you all made assumptions about tow weight, vehicle braking setup, trailer breaking setup, so many other things w/o a friggin clue as to the ACTUAL data.

/ Joined the red club! #24  
with cab I bet that tractor weighs about 4000-4150 lbs.
trailer prob weighs 1600-1800 lbs with a GVWR of 12800 to 14000.
tongue weight prob 650-800 lbs.

/ Joined the red club! #25  
I had to deliver a customer vehicle to Houston, so I used it as an excuse to do some out of state tractor shopping. I ended up finding a 2019 1740m Hydro/cab outside Oklahoma city. It was a bank repo that was on consignment at a dealer. I made a cash offer for $6K below what they were asking and they accepted with some grumbling.

Already have a WR Long 3rd kit sitting back at the shop so that will go on shorty to pair with the grapple I'm building. View attachment 745246
That's a Mighty-Fine M-F! & welcome to the family, Glad to see You got for what You offered them! & may the tractor gods be kind to You ! Good luck with her , & she is a beauty.

/ Joined the red club! #26  
Nice looking tractor. Have fun - be careful.

/ Joined the red club! #27  
with cab I bet that tractor weighs about 4000-4150 lbs.
trailer prob weighs 1600-1800 lbs with a GVWR of 12800 to 14000.
tongue weight prob 650-800 lbs.
6 lug wheels on the trailer should be 10,000lb. No problem with that trailer.

/ Joined the red club!
I am surprise they accepted your offer ... good for you !!
I was as well! Apparently the bank wanted to get rid of it!

Whitbread. I knew that name rung a bell. Did I have your 2.5" downpipe on my ALH TDI? I think I did. You even delivered it to Ann Arbor when you were in the process of moving from Ohio to MI, or something? It installed perfectly and was flawless for the ~80k miles I ran it until selling the car, btw.

I am both surprised and a little impressed with the curb weight and tow rating of that ecodiesel Grand Cherokee. Congrats on the new tractor! So $6k under ask on a lightly used 1740m cab is.... around 30k, or what?
Yup, that's me. I got for just under $24k.

You should post this to the “people towing improperly” thread.
Please use scientific data to back up your opinion or take your thread crapping elsewhere.

I'm looking at where the load is on the trailer, tongue weight, and tow vehicle. Not looking all that great. I'm also highly dubious of the mileage claim, maybe over all for that tank but probably not in that tow configuration.

But it is a nice tractor and it sounds like he got a good deal which is hard to come by.
Would you like to offer some explanation as to why it "doesn't look that great"? There are ~3.5" diameter helper bags inside the rear coil springs. At 45psi, that is 430lbs of lift per bag. The weight distribution bars were not cranked, but were certainly not loose. That is good for another 300-350lbs of lift. So that is easily 1200lbs of lift force to combat tongue weight and the rear end was still 1-1.5" lower than empty. At a tractor weight of 3800lb, trailer weight of 2100lb, the general 20% tongue weight rule gives us a number of 1180lbs target. Considering I had ~1200lb of lift and the rear was still sagging, that tells us I'm over 20% of tongue weight and plenty in the safe zone.

What is wrong with the load placement on the trailer? The edge of the bucket was 3" from the front edge of the deck. It literally was as far forward as it could go. Putting the tractor on backwards would have yielded way too much tongue weight.

If you want to discuss braking safety, a 2008 F150 has 13" front and 12.5" rear disc brakes. Guess what the jeep has? The exact same sizes. It also has a dana 44 based solid rear axle. So anyone who says towing this load with a 1/2 ton truck would be safer has no basis to stand on.

The trip was a total of 3104 miles and 210.42 gallons of diesel used. That makes for a total trip MPG of 14.75. Would you like to see the trip odometer and the fuel receipts? I hauled a 4400lb vehicle to the NW side of houston and picked up the tractor on the way back. The only time I ran empty was from Bryan TX to Chickasa OK.

I wouldn’t tow that rig with that car at 70mph if you gave it to me. I’ve seen what happens when things go wrong and you’re pushing the limits.

So you're the guy that tows a 4'x8' landscape trailer with this 1 ton dually then? Please use scientific data to tell me what I did that is inviting danger. The tongue weight is perfect, I'm at half trailer capacity, I'm 1700lbs under oem rated towing capacity, the brakes on the jeep are 13"F and 12.5"R discs which are exactly what an F150 of the same vintage runs, both axles on the trailer have brakes, and the towed load is basically equal to the vehicle weight.

So is your opinion that an 8500lb dually towing a 25k gooseneck is absolutely reckless also? If you want to donate fuel money next time, I'll happily take the big truck and goose for a 3800lb load if it would help you sleep at night.

He doesn't have enough tongue weight is my main problem...

These are the hazards of posting your tow vehicle/setup then making claims about it's capabilities on the internet. A million and on opinions out here don't'cha know? And we all know what opinions are like...
How do you know I didn't have enough tongue weight? Please read my reply to sea2summit for the math. I had over 20% tongue weight, probably closer to 25%. How much more would you like?

I don't normally do any horn tooting, but apparently it's necessary here. I have an associates degree in automotive high performance technology, diesel technology, and alternative fuel technology. I have another associates degree in mechanical engineering. I have a CDL A and a "big" truck and trailer for loads that require it. I have owned a machine shop/fabrication/diesel repair business for close to 14 years now. I'm also a firefighter on 2 departments and regularly drive 45,000lb trucks. So, I am extremely familiar with both the legal and the practical side of what is safe. I have zero reason to do anything that would jeopardize public safety or abuse equipment (especially considering I'm the one that has to fix it).

51811372293_64920f7d32_z.jpg

Last edited:
   / Joined the red club! #30  
Haha. Don't let the armchair quarterbacks get you all defensive, whit. $24k sounds pretty great for an almost new cab tractor! Is that blue machine on the diamondC the NH1620 you replaced with the M-F?