Joined the red club!

/ Joined the red club! #11  
I had to deliver a customer vehicle to Houston, so I used it as an excuse to do some out of state tractor shopping. I ended up finding a 2019 1740m Hydro/cab outside Oklahoma city. It was a bank repo that was on consignment at a dealer. I made a cash offer for $6K below what they were asking and they accepted with some grumbling.

Already have a WR Long 3rd kit sitting back at the shop so that will go on shorty to pair with the grapple I'm building. View attachment 745246
You should post this to the “people towing improperly” thread.

/ Joined the red club! #12  
Did you not read his explanation? 14mpg at 70 mph sounds pretty nice to me. My 2500HD gets 10.

/ Joined the red club! #14  
Did you not read his explanation? 14mpg at 70 mph sounds pretty nice to me. My 2500HD gets 10.
I'm looking at where the load is on the trailer, tongue weight, and tow vehicle. Not looking all that great. I'm also highly dubious of the mileage claim, maybe over all for that tank but probably not in that tow configuration.

But it is a nice tractor and it sounds like he got a good deal which is hard to come by.

/ Joined the red club! #15  
I wouldn’t tow that rig with that car at 70mph if you gave it to me. I’ve seen what happens when things go wrong and you’re pushing the limits.

/ Joined the red club! #16  
That grand cherokee is only 500 lbs lighter (9%) than my 4x4 2500HD ext cab 6.0L. With much more low end torque!

He has air bags in the rear, to allow for proper tongue weight, WD hitch, and double braked axles w/ controller. About as well setup as you can be to tow serious loads, with anything short of an HD pickup truck. From his business venture I presume he is typically towing 3000 lb, aerodynamic customer cars on that trailer and I'm sure it does just fine for that. This load really isn't much different aside from being less aerodynamic. No need to be rude; it's a perfectly legal setup and if he says it tows smooth and stable at 70 mph, why would you need to doubt him?

/ Joined the red club! #17  
That grand cherokee is only 500 lbs lighter (9%) than my 4x4 2500HD ext cab 6.0L. With much more low end torque!

He has air bags in the rear, to allow for proper tongue weight, WD hitch, and double braked axles w/ controller. About as well setup as you can be to tow serious loads, with anything short of an HD pickup truck. From his business venture I presume he is typically towing 3000 lb, aerodynamic customer cars on that trailer and I'm sure it does just fine for that. This load really isn't much different aside from being less aerodynamic. No need to be rude; it's a perfectly legal setup and if he says it tows smooth and stable at 70 mph, why would you need to doubt him?
He doesn't have enough tongue weight is my main problem...

These are the hazards of posting your tow vehicle/setup then making claims about it's capabilities on the internet. A million and on opinions out here don't'cha know? And we all know what opinions are like...

/ Joined the red club! #18  
bet the org poster didn't think thread would go this way...
hey guys, its HIS insurance that covers crap.
and thread was not about towing/safety/etc.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Joined the red club! #19  
He doesn't have enough tongue weight is my main problem...

These are the hazards of posting your tow vehicle/setup then making claims about it's capabilities on the internet. A million and on opinions out here don't'cha know? And we all know what opinions are like...
You have no way of knowing what his tongue weight is ! I questioned his possibly light towing vehicle and he answered well. And he did not "post his towing setup" nor "make claims about it's capabilities" -- never mentioned them at all -- until I asked about the towing vehicle. He tried to simply post a picture of his new-good-deal-tractor. What are we doing here roasting people ?

Last edited:
   / Joined the red club! #20  
All I know is that I'd much rather share the road with someone who thinks this much about their towing setup, and actively optimizes their tow vehicle, then some joe-bob who just clangs a coupler onto his HD pickup, tosses a few straps across their piece of equipment, and blasts away.

It only looks like he has no tongue weight because he has inflated air bags in the rear springs. I doubt someone like whitbread who tows customer vehicles across the whole country (apparently) wouldn't understand how to balance tongue weight. No one wants to drive 2000 miles with a swaying trailer.