John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Here in Texas, Deere has already forced smaller dealerships to either buy other dealerships, or sell your own dealership. Our dealership had been family owned since like 1936.

So now, there are these "entities" that own multi-dealerships, reducing competition. Some "wet behind the ears" board member/s at Deere must have come up with this idea.

Now the word on the street is that Deere wants to get down to maybe only 4 "entities" to own all the dealerships in Texas.

While this may give corporate Deere some advantages, I for one, don't subscribe to it being better for the little guys wanting a compact tractor.

I would like to hear from some of the guys on the inside of these dealerships and how they feel about the pros and cons of this corporate move.

What will happen to Deere long term due to this?

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #2  
It's a corporate, MBA mentality. Cut until the turnips into mush, then squeeze until the blood is gone. Take the stock bonus perks and move to another company.

Same thing is happening in Medicine, only worse. Hospitals have a non-profit status in most instances, and in order to remain in that category, they have to spend that 'profit' every year in some fashion. So they are buying everything they can find and building new 'ambulatory centers' on every corner. Make no mistake... it cannot be maintained but it is the way of the world at this point.

Narrowing the number of dealers gives JD better control over quality and more importantly, over who is selling and how they are selling the hugely profitable 'parts and maintenance' of their machines. Combine that with the electronic 'handcuffs' that JD has on their tractor software and keeping control of 4 dealers 'too big to fail' is much better than dealing with 'mom and pop' dealers of all sorts.

I don't like it at all... but it is a control thing pure and simple.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #3  
Not just Deere . It is what is being taught in universities across the nation . With fewer family farms and more BTO it should not be a surprise .

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #4  
On the one hand it sucks, on the other hand, many of these small dealers are struggling so something is better than nothing.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #5  
This is what happens on the auto side today. When we were last shopping cars none if the dealers wanted to bargin until we mentioned we were talking to dealers in Oregon. Changed their tune quick.

Found out afterwards they are all part of the same parent company despite completely different branding.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO.
Not just Deere . It is what is being taught in universities across the nation . With fewer family farms and more BTO it should not be a surprise .

"Bachman Turner Overdrive"?
:)

All kidding aside, I believe Deere might end up selling only large stuff and combines...If this is the case, they could close half the dealerships.

Our dealership is dependent on hay farmers and stuff mostly smaller than 125HP.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #7  
Massey is losing ground along with Mahindra here in Maine. We have a HUGE JD dealer that has three locations and sells Kubota as well. They sell tiny tractors to monster tractors and everything in between. And they are family owned and a good family I might add. I have bought parts for Deere there that would cost twice as much if it were a Massey part, JD and Kubota has Maine pretty much rapped up, the others are being driven out.

Massey, Mahindra, Kioti and NH, LS are not something most people with buy here because there is no support and the Deere dealers know it..

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #8  
Dealers are told by manufacturers they are either fish or bait. Make up your mind.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO. #9  
Goes with the trend that we are all to be cared for by the Gubmint. The Gubmit has control of the farmers.. the mfg's through the EPA, etc., etc., etc. And so it goes.. and goes.. until our great grands just are the victims. We have allowed it to happen, slowly but surely.

/ John Deere's poor dealership decision making IMO.
I believe it lies in between the wet ears of the young ones, trying to come up with ideas to squeeze more blood from a rock.