John Deere oil

/ John Deere oil #21  
I expect this has been covered before, but the truth is I have never mastered the search feature on this site no matter how many times I tried.

For the last fifty years I've been told John Deere tractors MUST have John Deere oil. Or else! This happens, that happens, brakes fail, clutch packs fail, transmissions fail, you name it. I still have to wonder what is it about John Deere oil that's so different from any other brand out there? Does Deere own and operate refineries and do they have a patented "secret recipe" that no other oil company can produce?

My question really is just this. Has anyone seen or heard of any actual oil sample analyses that compared John Deere Hy Gard to trans/hydraulic fluids from Kubota, New Holland, Caterpillar, or any of the name brand oil suppliers out there?

I understand the differences between oils for wet brakes and clutches and all that. I also know that oil suppliers like Chevron, Mobil, Shell and others want to sell products to as much of the market as possible, and Deere is a large part of that market. So why can't their products be just as good even if they have to charge the same price? I'm not talking about "bargain basement" brands where who knows what goes into the bucket, but the top name stuff with the higher price tags.

Deere's manuals certainly state that oils used must meet certain specifications, but they do not state you must only use JD oils. However, they do allow for extended drain intervals in some circumstances if you do use their products rather than one from a different manufacturer that meets the relevant specification. Engine oils are easier as there are major independent third parties that make specifications (API and ACEA) that the oil manufacturers meet. There are only equipment manufacturer specifications for hydraulic oils. Thus you get the "patterned after *** specification" and "recommended for use for *** specification" rather than "meets *** specification" nonsense oil manufacturers pull, where you think you are getting an appropriate product but are actually not. The yellow bucket "303" hydraulic oil is the worst example of this, leading to it being banned in some areas.

As far as I am aware, Deere does have their own formula for what they want made for oils, but they contract out the manufacturing of the oil.

/ John Deere oil #22  
I had the occasion to purview the safety data sheet for Hygard and it stated the manuf was
Esso Petroleum Canada

/ John Deere oil #23  
It sounds like we are talking about hydraulic fluid, which is an oil, not engine oil. I choose to use JD hydraulic oil in my tractor and I used Kubota hydraulic oil when I had a Kubota. You can find a lot of information on motor oil and it’s fairly easy to pick out a good one. With hydraulic oil, it seems a little tougher to find information on them. That said I’m sure there is a lot of hydraulic fluid that is as good or better than JD’s stuff.

However, for their skid steers, JD recommends the use of their Plus 50 engine oil for both the engine AND hydraulic systems. Now, as you were saying....
I had the occasion to purview the safety data sheet for Hygard and it stated the manuf was
Esso Petroleum Canada

Just because it is made by Esso does not mean it is not a unique formulation

/ John Deere oil #24  
Just because it is made by Esso does not mean it is not a unique formulation
OEM brand oils are minimum requirement aka good enough lubricants.

There's obviously better made lubricants on today's market that meet and exceed OEM and do a much better job.
Regardless of what brand oil is stated or advertised by the OEM, these oils are nothing more than contracts that go to the lowest bidder. It doesn't mean they are indeed the absolute best, just that they are good enough for John Deere. John Deere does not want your tractor to last forever. Most people do not like to hear this but the reality is, car/truck/powersports dealers etc OEM’s need a reason for owners to keep buying new vehicles otherwise they simply won’t make money.

I have owned 2 JD tractors over the last 25 yrs and I never used any JD lubes or filters and nothing has failed. I use AMSOIL in everything for over 30 yrs.