John Deere D110 Smoking

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #1  

bakerg

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere D110
Was driving over to my son's place the other day when the 2014 John Deere D110 started to smoke. It has a 19hp Briggs and Stratton with regular maintenance. I had just changed the oil and thought maybe I had put too much oil in but it is burning oil as the oil keeps going down on dipstick. Any suggestions like an oil additive to loosen up a stuck ring before I have to tear it down and check the oil ring. Mower only has a 100hrs on it. Using conventional Pennzoil 10w30

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #2  
Mower only has a 100hrs on it. Using conventional Pennzoil 10w30

Check your mower manual. Doesn't your engine call for Straight 30W oil? May be wrong but I believe it does. If so, that can very well be your problem.

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #3  
Dollars to donuts, you have a failing head gasket.

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #4  

Check your mower manual. Doesn't your engine call for Straight 30W oil? May be wrong but I believe it does. If so, that can very well be your problem.

Oddly, the D110 manual does not list straight 30W for the engine. It lists 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 15W-40.

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #5  
Thanks jgayman,
Oddly, yes. I learn something new frequently from this forum. That is why I follow it on a regular basis.

/ John Deere D110 Smoking

The oil I’m using is recommended for it, been using it for 7 years

/ John Deere D110 Smoking
It's a Briggs, expect no less...

Must be a new thing with them, got a Briggs that is in my replica project that is over 50 years old and still runs great

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #9  
The oil I’m using is recommended for it, been using it for 7 years
OK guess I don't understand. You have had the mower for 7 years but only have 100 hours on the engine?

I'll go with Tom, most likely a bad head gasket.

Richard

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #10  
There are certainly things to know and watch for while replacing these head gaskets. If you posses a good mechanical knowledge, can follow their instructions and own a decent torque wrench- it is with in your reach to do this successfully. Typically in addition to a dropping oil level, the oil turns dark from the combustion gasses entering the crankcase. If you are hiring it out, keep the oil level up in the safe zone and get it scheduled in. 30 weight oil is recommended by Briggs. They like to sell their 5W30 synthetic, 10W30 meets spec as well as SAE 30 plus 40 degrees.