John Deere carb

/ John Deere carb #1  

gx75

New guy here. Im a beginer when it comes to my gx75 John mower. I read a post about another guy having the same problems as I am having. When I pour a little gas in the carb it fires, runs great for 2 seconds then dies. I drained the old gas, cleaned the tank, took the carb off, took the fuel bowl off, cleaned it with small engine carb cleaner, pulled the jet out of the carb, cleaned with carb cleaner, changed fuel line and the fuel filter and it's still doing the same thing. Do I need to buy a new carb? If so where is a good place to find one? Thanks in advance for the help.
Alvin

/ John Deere carb #2  
As I recall that unit is pretty straight forward when it comes to fuel. Are you sure fuel is getting to the needle valve, which I'm guessing you had to "unstick" due to "varnishing" from the old gas? If you remove your fuel bowl do you have gas flow?

/ John Deere carb
Yes there is gas flow. What else do you suggest? How much does a new carb run? I don't mind spending the money to buy a new one unless I have over looked something little.

/ John Deere carb #4  
The fact that it runs great when you put fuel in the carb indicates to me that the float is either bad or adjusted wrong or your fuel pump isn't working correctly.

Did you gently shake the float to see if there was gas inside of it? If so, the float is bad. If not, you can see if it's adjusted properly. Your dealer should be able to give you clearances for the float for proper adjustment.

I'd try both of those things before shelling out the bucks for a new carb. They aren't expensive, but they are usually so simple it's hard to actually break one.

Just my $0.02.

Mark

/ John Deere carb
Checked the float for gas inside but it's empty. Basically if the float has a crack in it and is taking in fuel it's bad right? I wish the fuel bowl had a sight hole like a holley that way you could actually see where the float is. I will get a hold of a dealer today for proper adjustment of the float. IF I do need a new carb, is the dealer the place to get it from or are they overpriced like with dealerships with auto parts? Thanks Mark

Alvin

/ John Deere carb #6  
OK, if you are getting gas through the needle valve and into the bowl, then your supply is fine. Now, that gas needs to get to the chamber. If it is not then you should look to the fuel pump for a possible cause. If I remember correctly that model has a "diaphram" fuel pump on the side? If that is the case, you can buy/order it as a kit.

/ John Deere carb
Where is a good place to order parts? Is there a place on the internet that I can order the parts cheaper or is it best just to go through the dealer?

/ John Deere carb
Is the fuel pump mechanical? Are you talking about fuel getting to the combustion chamber? Sorry for all the beginer questions and thanks everybody for the replys.

/ John Deere carb #9  
There are many supply houses for mower/engine parts on the net. Do a search for mower engine/carb parts/equipment and many will come up. On the fuel pump issue, again I'm going from memory, it should be behind a small square cover held on by four corner screws. when you take out the screws there will be a small diaphram and spring operations which as I recall functions off of air/vacum.

/ John Deere carb
One more question, how do I know if the fuel pump is bad or not?